Art exhibit '26 Blocks' redefines collaboration, creativity in downtown Phoenix

26 blocks

Joey Robert Parks, 26 Blocks creator and director, reveals an easter egg hidden in the Block M picture, which is of ASU's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, taken by photographer Jesse Rieser. (Sebastian Parks)

A wave of artistic visionaries has taken over downtown Phoenix and solidified why Phoenix is Arizona’s culture, innovation and official capital of the state.

"26 Blocks," located on the lower level of the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, celebrates the history and future of one of the most rapidly developed cities in America.

The exhibit disappeared for nearly five years, and recently made a major comeback this year with thousands of people visiting, eager to see what brought "26 Blocks" so much popularity.

In 2009, ghostwriter, author and social entrepreneur Joey Robert Parks discovered his calling in the project, and founded the project.

“I suddenly didn’t have any work as a ghostwriter, and also my fellow creative friends didn’t have any work … writers, photographers, graphic designers,” Parks said. “Also, at the same time, Downtown Phoenix was getting bashed a lot.”

Parks, being a Phoenix native, took this to heart and started working on the project to show people the true cultural and visual beauty that can be found in Downtown Phoenix and nowhere else.

The 109-piece exhibit was cultivated by 26 Phoenix writers, 26 Phoenix photographers, 26 sculptures by the distinguished Phoenix sculptor and painter Rafael Navarro, 26 line drawing illustrations by graphic designer and illustrator Travis Fetting, living up to its namesake. There is also a “bonus block” of artwork and a two-foot block for guests to sign and leave their own mark.

Park’s inspiration behind the number 26 is simple and surprising, yet intriguing. 

“I didn’t know what to call it, and I was looking around on the internet, just thinking what kind of things do I like?” he said. “I saw these kid’s alphabet blocks (labeled) A through Z, and each letter represented some kind of science.” 

Because there are 26 letters in the alphabet and 26 blocks, Parks found the idea to name his project 26 Blocks.

The exhibit shines a light on many of the most talented and renowned people that Phoenix has to offer. Many photographers, writers, and artists involved have previously done work for prestigious organizations including The Arizona Republic, Los Angeles Times, The New Yorker and Phoenix New Times.

The 26 blocks of Phoenix were chosen randomly for the exhibit. Each block, labeled like Block A, Block B and so on for each label of the alphabet, is occupied by a writer and photographer. Both of them collaborated to create a picture of the block, in whatever creative means they chose. The best part is that they could focus on the past of the block, the present and even the imagined future; however they decided to envision it. This resulted in an explosion of creativity and thought-provoking visuals.

Other huge perks to the exhibit (the ultimate one for college students) is that there’s free admission and you can visit at anytime, day or night. This way, you can check it out whether it’s a sunny Sunday morning and or a random rainy Tuesday at 2:30 a.m. "26 Blocks" won’t be leaving the Renaissance for another two years, so you still have time to throw this on your list of artsy things-to-do this fall and winter.

Parks did a collaboration of his own with ASU’s College of Arts and Letters earlier in September at the exhibit. He led an insightful panel discussion about how "26 Blocks" has impacted the Downtown Phoenix community, and gave some lucky ASU students a tour of the exhibit.

#RenhotelPHX #26blocksPHX

A photo posted by 26 Blocks (@26blocksphx) on

For Parks, his vision for people to understand the magical presence he originally found in Downtown Phoenix has finally come true. 

“I want (people) to approach these blocks, whether they see the art first and then the blocks, or whether they see the blocks first and then the art," he said. 

Parks said what he wants people to get out of the fascinating 26 Blocks exhibit are “perspectives.”

click here.

Spanish-language bookstore to incorporate Hispanic community in downtown arts scene

For Roosevelt Row, adaptive reuse an appropriate compromise

Reach the reporter at kkingsum@asu.edu or follow @kaylakingsumner on Twitter.

×