ASU athletics inducts 2015 Hall of Fame Class

Derek Hagan and Ike Diogu were among the six athletes enshrined at the Phoenix Country Club

Group 2
The Sun Devil Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2015 — minus Dustin Pedroia, who was not present — poses with Sparky before the induction ceremony at the Phoenix Country Club on Friday, Oct. 9, 2015.

ASU inducted six former student athletes and one coach into its Hall of Fame class of 2015 Friday afternoon at Phoenix Country Club. 

Among them were former Sun Devil football wide receiver Derek Hagan (2002-05), golfer Chez Reavie (2001-04), swimmer Agnes Kovacs (2001-05), diver Joona Puhakka (2002-05), basketball forward Ike Diogu (2003-05) and baseball second baseman Dustin Pedroia (2002-04) who was not in attendance. 

Former ASU men's golf head coach Randy Lein, who led the program for 19 years from 1992 to 2011, was inducted into the Hall of Distinction for coaches and administrators. 

Lein and Reavie were joined by Jon Rahm and the entire men's golf team, as well as alumni Matt Jones and Paul Casey and other legacy members and were seated together during the luncheon. 

The six former Sun Devils will be recognized Saturday at halftime of ASU football's game versus Colorado. 

Pedroia will attend ASU football's home game against Arizona on Nov. 21 as part of the baseball program's alumni celebration. 

Reavie, a three-time All-American, has been active around head coach Tim Mickelson and the Sun Devil golf program and still is having success on the links – he won the Small Business Connection Championship at -15 on Sept. 20, for a winning share of $180,000. 

While one of the top amateur players in the country in his time as a Sun Devil, Reavie said his game has progressed as he's moved up the ranks onto the PGA Tour. 

"I manage my game better now," Reavie said. "I think I'm smarter – definitely stronger, I'm hitting it further and scoring better by getting around the course quicker."

Joona Puhakka, a four-time NCAA diving champion, became the first male student-athlete in the history of the Sun Devil program to win two national championships in a career. 

He also had a decorated post-collegiate career, earning a gold medal in World Championship competition and in European meets. 

Puhakka, a native of Finland, said he's interested in moving his family to the Valley long-term. 

"I'd like to move back here," Puhakka said. "I enjoy this place. I have great memories from school and sports, and I have family out here. I enjoy being part of the (ASU) family." 

The nine-time All-American in swimming and diving was impressed by the hiring of new men's swimming head coach Bob Bowman. 

"I think it's great," Puhakka said. "I'm glad to see that the program is getting a chance to come back and show itself – the facility is great, the school is great, and now we have a great coach. He should pull in lots of great recruits over the next few years." 

Reach the sports editor at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×