Todd Graham: ASU football can't afford to be complacent

The Sun Devils are focused on Colorado

Head coach Todd Graham speaks at a press conference after a game against UCLA on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015, at Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, Calif. The Sun Devils defeated the UCLA Bruins 38-23.

Despite a historic upset for the ASU football program less than a week ago in Los Angeles, there's still work to be done and that's where the team's focus is.

The Sun Devils defeated then-No. 7 UCLA 38-23 Saturday for the program's first road win over a Top-10 opponent since 2002 when ASU took down Joey Harrington and Oregon in Eugene.

Despite the magnitude of the win, coach Todd Graham said his team has been totally focused on ASU's cliché du jour: going 1-0 every day.

"We don't spend a lot of time talking about (the win)," Graham said. "It's pretty nice to get to see their faces after that and see their parents. I love to see (redshirt senior quarterback) Mike Bercovici and his dad hugging on the sidelines, that's pretty cool."

But, Graham said, that can only be seen in passing because he and the rest of the team have to refocus for the next challenge a few days away.

"As soon as we're done in the locker room we celebrate for 10, 15 minutes then we go to the next game," Graham said. "It's what you have to do. There's too much work to do. I haven't thought about the UCLA game since you asked me last."

Plastered throughout the team's facilities are signs reminding the players to take it one play, practice, game, etc. at a time. While the messaging seams tireless, the players have, at least outwardly, bought in, especially the team's leader in Bercovici.

"It's awesome to have coaches that know how to humble you and know how to work," Bercovici said. "That's really the mindset. Since Sunday the mentality has been beat Colorado. Our mentality has been since camp go 1-0 and that's each and every day."

Bercovici said the Sun Devils have been undefeated all week and hopes the wins at practice will transfer into the game Saturday where the record really matters.

"We won today, won Thursday," Bercovici said. "We've got to have a good walk through and beat Colorado on Saturday."

Additional Notes:

With injuries still impacting depth in ASU's secondary, Graham said that redshirt junior Gump Hayes will be more involved on the defensive side of the ball after he began seeing practice time at cornerback last week.

"He is flat gifted as a cover guy," Graham said. "The only thing that kind of surprised me is that he's very natural and instinctive even though he's learning what he's doing. He's had a great attitude and he's going to be very special."

Graham lamented that he had not put Hayes on defense earlier, such as during spring practice or during his redshirt season in 2014.

Graham added that Hayes will still see time on offense, playing "10 or 15 plays" on the other side of the football in addition to special teams plays.

ASU football's Ballage eager to be at full strength

Mike Bercovici leaving a lasting legacy on ASU football

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×