40 years on the force: ASU policeman retires, leaves legacy

Stewart Adams

Stewart Adams recently retired from the ASU Police Department after a 40-year career.

ASU policeman Stewart Adams retired on Sept. 25 after working 40 years on the college’s police department.

Adams, 65, always knew he wanted to go into law enforcement. His father worked for the Tempe Police Department, and his mother worked as a dispatcher for ASU’s police department.

After graduating from ASU with a criminal justice degree, Adams took the first job he was offered: patrol officer at his alma mater.

In his 40 years on the force, Adams has worked as a patrol officer, motorcycle officer, detective, corporal and temporary sergeant. He worked as a civilian in crime prevention since 1998, when he retired from his sworn police office.

Adams said the job is rewarding in and of itself, but being able to do his job on ASU’s Tempe campus made it even more enjoyable.

“The ASU community has always been great,”Adams said. “They’re all good people working here and going to school here.”

Through his time at ASU, Adams has established relationships with many students. They have often approached him and mentioned how he has come to their classes to discuss public safety, and how his role on campus has affected their lives, both in and out of the classroom. Such interactions are one of the best parts of the job, Adams said.

Maintaining a career for 40 years isn't easy. Adams said one policy enabled him to earn the respect of both his co-workers and the greater ASU community: Always be honest with everyone, and be respectful, regardless of the situation.

Like any police department, ASU’s has had its share of controversy, but the school’s community remains supportive of the force. Students see the culture of honesty and respect Adams and officers like him perpetuate, and they appreciate it.

Marketing major Gunnar Fritz said the police are respectful. Fritz was pulled over by a police officer for running a red light, but the officer was cordial and empathetic, he said.

“I totally respect the guy,” Fritz said.

Biology major Jordan Ouellette said they are respectable and pleasant to deal with.

“I like them, they’re nice people,” she said.

City and county police officers often have to go into parts of their jurisdictions which are less safe than others. ASU police have the benefit of being confined to their campus, Adams said.

“There’s no bad side of town at ASU,” he said.

Adams left the department with mixed emotions. There are many aspects of his career he said he’ll miss, but he is also looking forward to the relaxation that comes with retirement.

“I’m going to miss the people, the friends I’ve made,” he said. “I’ve been told I need to move on and see what life is like outside of ASU.”

Though Adams has stepped down from the force, the ways he has influenced ASU’s community live on.

The next generation of law enforcement officers will be filling the shoes of Adams and his peers. Adams said one thing will set them apart from the rest. He knows because it has enabled him and his fellow officers to be respected by the students of ASU.

“Be honest. Honesty is the best policy,”he said. “As I stated earlier, show respect to the people you’re dealing with.”

A minor issue

ASU Police Department adds Special Victims Unit

Reach the reporter at jwbowlin@asu.edu or follow @mrjoshuabowling on Twitter. 

×