ASU women's basketball knocks off the rust in maroon and gold scrimmage

The Sun Devils played in front of the Wells Fargo crowd for the first time this season.

Junior center Quinn Dornstauder (22) and freshman center Charnea Johnson-Chapman (33) face off at the beginning of the overtime period during the women's intra-squad scrimmage on Friday, Oct. 9, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.

The game itself was meaningless, its 73-70 final score arbitrary. But senior guard Elisha Davis ended ASU women's basketball's Maroon and Gold scrimmage Friday night on an overtime buzzer-beating three-pointer to give the black team the edge and conclude what was otherwise a glorified practice on a high note. 

The actual score of the ten-minute game was nowhere near that point total, but the event provided plenty of action on both sides of the ball. Neither team showed off the Sun Devil offense and the scrimmage functioned as a sort of pickup game to entertain fans.

Davis led both teams in scoring with seven points on three-of-four shooting, notching two key steals in the game as well.

The teams were split as follows:

Black team:

• Katie Hempen
  • Sabrina Haines
  • Qiana Levy
  • Quinn Dornstauder
  • Elisha Davis
  • Kianna Ibis
  • Eliza Normen

Gold team:

• Arnecia Hawkins
  • Tia Kanoa
  • Peace Amukamara
  • Sophie Brunner
  • Kelsey Moos
  • Charnea Johnson-Chapman
  • Armani Hawkins

Both sides played a noticeably sloppy game, which is more forgivable in early October.

ASU head coach Charli Turner Thorne said she wasn't surprised by the poor play from her team so early in the season, but that they've looked good in practice so far.

"We've been scoring really well in practice," Turner Thorne said. "I think our offense is a bit ahead of our defense right now. We're trying to stay healthy and get in basketball shape creatively."

Turner Thorne said that veteran leadership was a positive aspect of Friday's scrimmage.

"Our leadership team is really challenging our younger players," Turner Thorne said. "Last year this team always knew what it needed to do and stepped up to the challenges and I feel like, while we're really rusty basketball-wise, I feel like mentality-wise and leadership-wise we're right there."

As far as the offseason is concerned, Turner Thorne said she was pleased with the work ethic of the large majority of her players.

"It's a long offseason for us," Turner Thorne said. "It's good that we got to do this (scrimmage) because we don't get to play in front of anyone until Kentucky. When the lights turn on and people are watching you, it can't be 'your show'."

ASU's first game will be at home on Nov. 15 against Kentucky, and the game will be broadcasted on Pac-12 networks.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

×