Colorado theater group to share personal stories, struggles of immigration with ASU students

El Teatro

Immigrant and refugee students are coming to ASU to share their personal experiences as a theatrical group called El Teatro. (Photos courtesy of Jessica Cooney, top, and El Concilio)

After immigrating to the U.S., a group of Colorado high school students decided to unite to share their experiences through theater. The group, El Teatro, is coming to ASU on Thursday to share their experiences and help students gain a new perspective.

El Teatro is a multilingual, multicultural theater program composed entirely of immigrants and refugees with disadvantaged backgrounds gives students a chance to tell their own stories and show that people are more alike than different.

High school freshman Lorena Jaime is one the students who will be performing at the event. She came to the U.S. from Mexico in middle school and learned English. She and her parents slept on the floor in someone's basement when they first arrived. She said wants to change the way they think about immigrants.

"I'm excited to be here to know new people and places and tell them my story to change their mentality," Jaime said.

El Teatro Director Jessica Cooney said ASU students should attend the event because of the impact the group of high schoolers could have. El Teatro's mission is to promote cultural pride, celebrate diversity and remind us all that people are more alike than different.

"They will be awed and inspired by amazing young people," Cooney said. "They will be moved and inspired to reconsider their own lives."

Business management sophomore Angelica Rodriguez is a member of El Concilio, which is hosting the event. She said the event will give students a new perspective on the world around them.

"These students are obviously young but come from different backgrounds and have a lot to share and we hope that with their experiences some of our students can relate and also be aware of the things that occur around the world," Rodriguez said. "I personally feel this event is unique and I hope students can see how important it is."

El Teatro began nine years ago with a dream, according to a statement from the group. Two teachers at Northridge High School in Greeley believed that they had amazing students whose stories needed to be told. El Teatro was started to give a voice to those who might otherwise not have one. 

However,  El Teatro also began because seven students were brave enough to take a risk and try something different. These students were bold enough to stand in front of others to share their lives for the first time with an audience. They were leaders, founders, and truly the beginning of El Teatro.

Today the group consists of 19 girls and four boys. Each originally needed to apply and audition for their places in the group. Through the eyes of these students, Sun Devils may take advantage by viewing the several perspectives of life. 

This year ASU is the only out-of-state university that the theatrical group will visit. They plan to continue on traveling throughout their home town, Greeley, Colorado. 

ASU Dean Cassandra Aska advises the Council of Coalition and oversees several coalitions including El Concilio, American Indian Council and Black African Coalition, and was very involved in getting the group to come to ASU.

She said students should attend to learn about real issues and challenges to make informed decisions about change, now and in their future.

"The El Teatro Director, Jessica Cooney, reached out to ASU informing us that they are visiting the state, and are interested in visiting ASU and welcome the opportunity to share their performance," Aska said in an email. "We seized the opportunity to engage them in sharing their stories and talents with us on such a critical issue, the importance of being globally minded."

The event will take place in the W.P. Carey McCord Hall Thursday starting at 4:30 p.m. 

Cost of tuition still an issue for ASU DREAMers

Immigration policy receives support from University administration, students

Reach the reporter at rsantist@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×