ASU cross country sweep the field at ASU Invitational in Phoenix

The Sun Devil men and women both shined Friday at Papago Park

Men's cross country competitors take their first steps at the starting line at the ASU cross country invitational on Friday, Oct. 23, 2015, in Papago Golf Course in Phoenix.

In their only home meet of the season, ASU men's and women's cross country claimed first at the ASU Invitational Friday at the Papago Golf Course in Phoenix. 

"We had a great turnout today, I mean we really did," head coach Louie Quintana said. "People are excited. It's great for the community to just really see what we do." 

For the women, redshirt senior Shaina Corbin was the first Sun Devil to cross the finish line, placing second overall with a time of 17:55. Redshirt junior Kaitlin Kaluzny was right behind her, clocking in at 18:01. 

"It's really special just being in my fifth year, final home cross country race was good," Corbin said. "It was definitely a confidence booster and something I needed just preparing for Pac-12s next week."

Corbin said it was difficult knowing that Friday's meet would be the final home race of her Sun Devil career, but said that it didn't feel like it.  

"I don't know why. Putting on the jersey is awesome and I think about it being the last time," Corbin said. "I feel like I still have so much more left with the championship season coming around that I'm not really dwelling on it being the end yet."

For the men, redshirt sophomore Cody Brazeal was the first Sun Devil across, finishing in fourth overall with a time of 20:50. 

"Anytime you can represent your school, that's always an honor to do," Brazeal said. "To finish [as] the first guy on your team, to lead your guys in, it's always fun."

Quintana was positive about Brazeal's fourth-place finish. 

"He's been training really well," Quintana said. "He's running well, he's training well and he's got confidence."

Freshman Hannah Benoit-Bucher was the next Sun Devil runner to finish the 3-mile race, placing fifth with a time of 18:22. 

"I thought the women, we asserted ourselves up front, which was good," Quintana said. "It's good to see we're able to do something like that."

Redshirt freshman Lea Patek rounded out the top 10, recording a time of 19:13. 

"I saw some girls from the other team in front of me, so I just wanted to catch up to them," Patek said. "Also, my teammate Hannah [Benoit-Bucher] was with me so we were working together throughout the race which was nice."

Quintana was impressed by Patek's race Friday. 

"She did a great job of just moving through the field, having good objectives, was very purposeful the whole time," Quintana said. "It was really one of her best races she's run here at ASU." 

Redshirt senior Madison Davis and junior Mia Townsend rounded out the last of the Sun Devils across the line, notching time of 19:24 and 20:21, respectively. 

Redshirt freshman Brandon Boys and redshirt freshman Nick Dale went back-to-back at 21:14 and 21:15, respectively. 

"We just ran with better resiliency throughout the run, we just fought the whole time, we were just able to be really smart and proactive throughout the whole race," Quintana said. "I think it builds a little momentum, gets the guys pretty excited for the Pac-12 meet next Friday."

Senior Riley Wattier and redshirt freshman J.P. Nelson finished the race together as well. Water crossed the line at 21:14, while Nelson clocked in at 21:33. 

"Some of our guys who were further back continued to run with great purpose throughout the race," Quintana said. "They just never gave up." 

Redshirt sophomore Jack Balder was the final Sun Devil to complete the 4-mile race, securing a time of 22:28. 

ASU's next meet is Fri., Oct. 30, when the team heads to Colfax, Washington for the Pac-12 Championships beginning at 10:30 a.m.

Reach the reporter at michael.baron@asu.edu or follow @Michael_Baron96 on Twitter.

×