When we retweet pictures of Kylie Jenner or Gigi Hadid, we aspire to look like them. However, when we think about who we aspire to be in our career, we think of Oprah Winfrey or first lady Michelle Obama. These should be the intelligent powerful women that we advertise on our social media accounts. 

We, as women, should realign who we see as role models and advertise them on our social media.

Kylie and Kendall Jenner are two young women that are constantly talked and tweeted about. Every time Kylie and Kendall have gone on a date, injected their lips or taken provocative pictures, it makes headlines. Both are interesting subjects of conversation, however, aside from their looks, they lack any real substance.

While these young women are successful, they are not women that young girls should aspire to be nor look up to. The women that we should have as role models should be at the forefront of our attention. When these women become popular, then we project the ideal that woman should be intelligent, strong and someone who makes a difference.

Women such as Erin MauldinMalala YousafzaiAmna Al Haddad and Elizabeth Holmes should be praised and talked about instead of models and socialites.

Mauldin graduated as a valedictorian from the prestigious U.S. Military Academy, is a Rhode Scholar and is the only woman to graduate from French Commando School.

Yousafzai is an activist for female education and the youngest Nobel Prize laureate. She stood up for what she knew was right and made a difference in the lives of many

Al Haddad is a weightlifter who plans on being the fourth woman ever sent by United Arab Emirates to the 2016 Olympics.

State Press Columnist Discuss Women Role Models from The State Press on Vimeo.

Homes is an entrepreneur who revolutionized the health industry by creating Theranos, a company that partnered Walgreens to create affordable blood tests.

These are the types of women we should aspire to be. The types of women whom we should praise and talk about instead of models and socialites.

If we want the common perception of a woman to be a strong, intelligent and inspiring person, then those are the types of women that should be present in our conversations and our tweets.

Reach the columnist at larober3@asu.edu or follow @lindsayaroberts on Twitter.

×