ASU cross country women finish sixth, men eighth at Pac-12 Championships in Washington

Cross country men and women return to Tempe with strong performances in Washington

Redshirt freshman Brandon Boys runs at the ASU cross country invitational on Friday. Oct. 23, 2015, at Papago Golf Course in Phoenix.

ASU country came away with sixth-place finish for the women and an eighth-place finish for the men at the Pac-12 Championships in Washington.

For the women, freshman Samantha Ortega led the way, crossing the finish line at 18th overall with a time of 20:27.9. Fellow Sun Devil Adriana Olivas was right behind her, clocking in at 20:33.7 in 20th place.

Chelsey Totten was the third Sun Devil across the line, securing 28th place with her time of 20:41.3. Jenna Maack was the 48th runner finished, notching a time of 21:06.5.

Cristina Juan Torres placed 58th in Washington with a time of 21:20.7. Redshirt senior Shaina Corbin was close behind her, coming in at 63rd with a time of 21:35.8.

Hannah Benoit-Bucher and Kaitlin Kaluzny finished the race back-to-back, clocking in at 21:58.3 and 22:01.0, respectively.

On the men’s side, redshirt junior CJ Albertson was the first Sun Devil across the finish line at 23:46.1. Last year at the Pac-12 meet, Albertson placed 34th overall with a time of 24:35.

Junior Bernie Montoya was the next Sun Devil to complete the 8-kilometer stretch, placing 49th and notching a time of 24:43.5. Montoya was followed closely by Cody Brazeal, finishing at 52nd and securing a time of 24:46.8.

Redshirt seniors Ryan Herson and Ryan Norton crossed the finish line back-to-back, with times of 24:53.5 and 24:55.0, respectively.

Redshirt freshmen Ryan Normand, Brandon Boys and Nick Dale rounded out the remaining Sun Devils on the course today. Normand come in at 65th with a time of 25:15.0. Boys secured 67th with a time of 25:17.4 and Dale was 69th, completing the race with a time of 25:18.0.

The women overall finished sixth with a score of 162. The men took eighth overall with a score of 218, besting only Arizona’s score of 271.

The Sun Devils remain in Tempe next week until the NCAA West Region meet on Nov. 13 in Seattle. The women’s race is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m., while the men’s race is slated for a 2:00 p.m. start time. 

Reach the reporter at michael.baron@asu.edu or follow @Michael_Baron96 on Twitter.

×