Arizona Theatre Company's 'Disgraced' brings controversial dinner conversations to stage

Prepare to have your views challenged with refined writing and masterful acting

Few playwrights have the guts to take on some of the most controversial questions in modern society, and even fewer can do it successfully. It's easier to write catchy show tunes and choreograph elaborate dance numbers than it is to face hard questions ― which makes it all the more remarkable when a play can captivate its audience without jazz hands or tap shoes. 

"Disgraced" tackles the issues of race, religion, identity and politics in an 85-minute drama that starts as nothing more than a witty rom-com, yet quickly evolves into a raw, timely commentary on American society and its shortcomings.

Read our preview: Herberger Theater stages 'Disgraced,' poses questions of US race and identity

"Disgraced" follows American-born, Muslim-raised lawyer Amir (Elijah Alexander) and his white Fulbright-grantee artist wife Emily (Allison Jean White) in their lavish Upper East Side apartment in New York. Amir's nephew Abe (Vandit Bhatt) has come to him asking for help in the court case of a local imam imprisoned on charges of financing terrorist-supporting groups. Although Amir has renounced Islam to protect his career, he reluctantly agrees to attend the hearing and support the imam.

His plan of keeping a low profile in the case backfires when The New York Times publishes a quote from him supporting the Muslim leader. In the midst of backlash and pressure from his law firm — operated mainly by older Jewish men — Amir's African American colleague Jory (Nicole Lewis) and her Jewish husband Isaac (Richard Baird) come over for dinner. Around the dining room table, the conversation starts as a friendly back-and-forth but slowly edges closer to the uncomfortable topics of race and religion. 

Tension begins to build when Amir admits that since 9/11, he has openly volunteered himself to be searched by airport security, because he knows they're looking at him anyway. Soon, with the help of alcohol, the conversation ― now a little heavier, with a little less amusement ― turns to the Quran, al-Qaida, the FBI, immigration and the differences between the identity people are born with versus the identity they project to the rest of the world.

These issues aren't discussed in Shakespeare's works or covered by Sophocles' tragedies. "Disgraced" is unique in its unflinchingly honest look at modern issues that Americans face today. Although the play debuted in 2012, not much has changed in the last three years in terms of America's views toward Islam and the Middle East. If anything, the play has become more relevant. Given that, the stage was already set for the Arizona Theatre Company (ATC) to bring the timely plot to Phoenix audiences.

Simply put, the acting in the ATC production is exceptional. Alexander embodies Amir with a perfect mix of bluster and gallantry, so the audience can sympathize with him even if they don't personally relate to his ethical struggle. White portrays Emily as supportive without being a pushover, and Lewis and Baird masterfully transition from the couple's friends to opponents as the conversation turns into a tense battle of opinions and beliefs.

But this isn't one of those plays where the audience can boo the antagonist and cheer when the hero saves the day. Not one of the characters, in fact, is inherently unpleasant or evil, which makes their arguments complex and captivating. Ayad Akhtar, the playwright who won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 2012 for "Disgraced," doesn't offer any particular answers. By the end of the play, much has been said about race, religion and politics, but there are no concrete statements or morals. Instead, it forces the audience to confront their own perceptions (and perhaps misperceptions) of Islam and other religions and cultures in America.

Bottom line: Go see it. "Disgraced" is a vivid, fast-paced exploration of identity that forces the audience to face uncomfortable questions. While it doesn't offer the answers, it does start the conversation.

"Disgraced" runs from Nov. 12 to 29 at the Herberger Theater in downtown Phoenix.

Reach the reporter at skylar.mason@asu.edu or follow @skylarmason42 on Twitter.

×