ASU alumna turned author

ASU alumna turned author

Arizona State University alumna Kristen Hunt is now channeling her childhood dream as an author releasing her latest book, “Blonde Eskimo”. 

With strong family ties to Aleuts Indian heritage, Hunt shares her personal experiences in the eyes of heroine and protagonist Neiva Ellis in her latest fiction novel. Hunt was inspired by the legends and stories told by her grandmother, a person she credits and dedicates her latest novel to. 

“My grandmother would have loved and appreciated the book since I did take what she shared with me and put those stories through my own interpretation,” says Hunt.

Part Viking and part Eskimo, Neiva Ellis, is set to uncover her family’s secrets in Alaska all leading up to her 17th birthday. The story takes you through Neiva’s journey to uncover the mysteries and secrets of her town meanwhile she is also learning about her strengths and weaknesses as a person, a plot that Hunt hopes readers can relate to. Hunt wrote this story to be fantasy world that young girls can go to and escape from their everyday norm. She also feels that her novel can offer a sense of connection for readers who are having doubts or trouble finding themselves during their young adult stage of life.

“I remember when I was a teenager, it was such an awkward time for me too. I used

books as my escape and that’s what I want this book to do the same for young girls,” says Hunt.

Hunt credits her twin sister, Tawney Bland, to be the main reason on why she pursued to get her story published. Thanks to Bland, Hunt took creative writing classes that helped her find her niche and a comfortable writing style as an author.

“My sister really did help me and motivate to take up those writing classes. Thanks to her I was able to find my writing style which is completely different from her,” says Hunt.

At her first book launch event at Changing Hands in Phoenix for “Blonde Eskimo” was an instant success selling out every book available. The majority of people in attendance were adolescent girls, which set the right tone for Hunt to share her story.

Hunt is working on two other books as well, also fiction fantasy novels but at the moment her sole focus is “Blonde Eskimo”. Hunt will be doing book signings at various Changing Hands Bookstores locations where she hopes to meet new readers. Hunt is looking forward to what is yet to come and is really excited to create a fan base around her similar interests. She hopes to share her life experiences as an adult that can offer advice for young girls.

“Life is full of surprise, you will eventually find out your direction in life but they important part is to stay on the straight path,” Hunt said.

“Blonde Eskimo” is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, IndieBound and wherever books are sold including local bookstores in the valley.

×