5 resources you can use to stay safe on campus

Take Monday's fake threat as a wake-up call to learn more about how you can stay safe on campus.

ASU Police cruiser
An ASU police cruiser turns from Mill Avenue onto 5th Street on Oct. 19, 2014.

Take Monday’s fake threat as a wake-up call to learn more about how you can stay safe on campus.

After that Monday’s false social media threat, many students have been asking what they should do to stay safe if a situation like that were to happen. Take Monday’s fake threat as a wake-up call to learn more about how you can stay safe on campus. Here is what ASU says students should do in emergency situations.

Look out for ASU Alert and Advisory messages

If you are an ASU student with a phone number and email on file you will automatically receive these messages. Messages are sent out through this system in the case of a situation that may affect the livelihood and safety of ASU faculty and students. Manage your contact and alert preferences through myASU.

Read more: ASU debuts new level in text alert system

Download the LiveSafe mobile app

Photo courtesy of ASU Police Department

This mobile application offers safety features and simplifies communication with ASU police. Users are able to send anonymous tips, contact ASU Police Dispatch and have a friend virtually walk you home. LiveSafe is a free application available for download on Google Play and iTunes.

Read more: ASU LiveSafe Mobile App connects faculty, students to police department

Call the ASU Police Department’s non-emergency number

Photo by Ben Moffat | The State Press

Non-emergency line: (480) 965-2456

Use this number when reporting an incident that should not require immediate action by police. Reporting a stolen bike, vandalism, theft or any crime with no suspect present are good examples.

Emergency line: 9-1-1

In the event of an emergency, always dial 9-1-1. This is the quickest way to inform law enforcement. Try to remember relevant information regarding the situation you are reporting, as this information will help officials better respond to your report.

Use emergency call boxes

Photo by Mario Mendez | The State Press

The emergency call boxes are marked with a blue light and are located throughout all of ASU’s campuses near high traffic areas. Campus police will respond and arrive at the location of the box when alerted through the call box.

Check social media

Checking ASU social media accounts is another way to stay updated in emergency situations. Follow any of these accounts:

ASU:  Facebook and Twitter

ASU Police:  Facebook and Twitter

Tempe Police: Facebook and Twitter

For additional information regarding safety resources, visit ASU’s emergency resources and education website.

Reach the reporter at anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNiclaASU on Twitter

×