ASU football seniors balance emotions between Senior Day and Territorial Cup

The Sun Devils need one win for bowl eligibility and for a "successful" season

ASU redshirt senior cornerback Lloyd Carrington defends a pass intended for Washington sophomore receiver Dante Pettis during the Sun Devils game against the Huskies at Sun Devil Stadium on Nov. 14, 2015.

When it comes to rivalry games, there's no room for hyperbole. Well, maybe there's some room.

"This game is worth five wins," coach Todd Graham said after practice Tuesday.

With the pressure of 82,000 students, along with countless alumni, on its shoulders, it's difficult for the ASU football team not to treat its annual matchup with the University of Arizona with that gravity.

After adding in the fact that it will be the last time the 19 seniors will ever run out of the Tillman Tunnel on to Frank Kush Field, the pressure is even higher.

Since his arrival in Tempe, Graham has made no qualms about how important this rivalry is to him and he has made that clear to the Sun Devils once again.

"It's the most important game of the year, period," Graham said. "It's the most important thing that we do. You want to be able to be a part of the group that says that in the Territorial Cup, you got it done."

This senior class has gotten it done, sitting at 2-1 against the Wildcats over the last three seasons, with the lone loss coming a year ago.

Senior wide receiver DJ Foster would love nothing more than to finish his career with a winning record against his heated rival and atone from the seven-point loss in Tucson.

"It's a huge game," Foster said. "It's important to our team, our community. They got the win last year, but we're going to work hard to go get it back."

With bowl eligibility on the line for the homestanding Sun Devils, more than just a rivalry win and a senior win will be at play, but  redshirt senior cornerback Lloyd Carrington said the most important thing is to not press and keep your responsibilities.

In the end, though, it all comes back to one thing.

"Getting that Territorial Cup is always a big deal," Carrington said. "The main thing for us is to go out and play for the seniors, play for all the guys that's sacrificed on this team and the ASU Sun Devil Nation, just going out and getting this win for them and getting bragging rights in the State of Arizona."

ASU football defensive back Jordan Simone is out for the season

Report Card: Grading ASU football's comeback win vs. Washington

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×