ASU hockey continues road stretch at Lake Superior State

After two tough road losses in Madison, the Sun Devils enjoyed a week off to prepare for Lake Superior State

ASU SNHU Puck Tie Up For Puck

ASU freshmen forwards Matt Kennedy and Jordan Masters tie up with junior Penman defender Devin Murray and forward Joe Collins during the Sun Devils' 9-2 win over Southern New Hampshire on Friday, Oct. 23, 2015.

After an unsuccessful road trip for the Sun Devils in Wisconsin, dropping both games to the high-scoring Badger offense, ASU hockey head coach Greg Powers placed an emphasis on conditioning and overall improvement, despite having a week off from game action leading into the upcoming weekend.

"They're a really good team. ... They can beat anybody," Powers said. "They have a long-standing history at that school with hockey, and we are excited to go into that building and play."

Lake Superior State is coming off a frustrating two-game set versus No. 14 Bowling Green State, where they managed to tie both games of the weekend affair, 1-1, after neither team could put away a winner in either of the two overtimes.

The multiple ties mark a five game lose-or-tie streak for the Lakers, their most recent win coming against Michigan State on Oct. 22, 4-2. The Lakers will become one of just four Western Collegiate Hockey Association teams to play the Sun Devils in their first Division I season.

Players to Watch:

Lake Superior State:  Forward Josh Nenadal and Goaltender Gordon Defiel

The Lakers found themselves in a tough match-up at No. 14 Bowling Green State where they managed two walk away with two, 1-1 tie games. Those results are mostly accredited to sophomore goaltender Gordon Defiel who stopped 70 of 72 shot attempts during the two game series, making for an impressive .972 save percentage. 

Defiel has started seven games for the Lakers this season, has a season save percentage of .900 and one of the teams two wins. 

Lake Superior freshman forward Josh Nenadal scored the equalizer in the second period of game one, his third goal and point of the season. Senior defenseman Zach Loesch tallied his first of the season, also in the second period, to knot up the second game, 1-1. Look for these two to be settling into their groove following important production in their previous outings.

ASU: Forward Jordan Masters and Goalie Ryland Pashovitz

One bright spot for the Sun Devils from their road trip to Wisconsin was production from freshman forward Jordan Masters, who added to his goal streak which currently stands at four games, he scored in each of the losses to the Badgers. Masters will look to continue his streak and add to his team-high nine points with help from assist leaders in freshman defenseman Joey Raats (7) and junior forward Ryan Belonger (4).

Freshman netminder Ryland Pashovitz has started in three of the last four games for the Sun Devils, solidifying his worth to the team in the absence of junior goalie Robert Levin. Pashovitz faced an unprecedented flurry of shots in the most recent road trip, 94, saving 88 of them and collecting a save percentage of .936 for the series. The Lakers average 27.2 shots per game, a number that Pashovitz would surely be pleased to face should he start both games vs LSSU.

Keys to Victory

In their first ever match up versus one another, both ASU and Lake Superior State will try to rebound off previous results, looking to their strengths to carry them to victory. Both teams will rely on strong goaltending in the wake of a high number of shots, and they will hope to match the other in goals, specifically those early which set the tempo for the rest of the evening.

The Lakers spread the puck and opportunities around well, with no clear leader in offensive production for the team through their first 10 games. Their top nine point earners are all forwards, indicating that LSSU will rely on the defenders along the blue line for assists and deep cover defense against a quick Sun Devil squad.

Strong goaltending will have to be coupled with late offensive strides, as the Lakers have failed to net a third-period goal in their last five games, three of which were either ties or a one-goal deficit.

The Sun Devils will look for the same kind of production from their forwards, but also from key offensive-defenseman such as Raats and freshman defender Nicholas Gushue, both of whom are top point earners for the ASU thus far.

In front of a confident Pashovitz in net, look for the Devils to play fast coming off a week long break from action and practices focused heavily on conditioning; they will hope to either overwhelm the Lakers early on as they did in previous victories versus South New Hampshire or keep the game close and hope to capitalize on late stagnation from Lake Superior State.

Prediction

Game 1: Tie Game; 2-2 (OT)

Game 2: ASU; 4-2

ASU hockey signs five for 2016 class

Pac-12 Networks to televise two ASU hockey games

Reach the reporter at csafran@asu.edu and follow @ChrisSafran on Twitter.

×