ASU soccer season wrap up: Reflecting on 2015, looking ahead to 2016

The Sun Devils missed out on a chance to qualify for back-to-back postseasons for the third time in program history

ASU's women's soccer team cheers for its win against Oregon State on Friday, Oct. 23, 2015, at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe.

ASU soccer's 2015 season ended without an appearance in the NCAA tournament, a year after topping NAU 4-2 in a first-round game in Tempe. 

For a team that started the season 4-0, it's doubtful that coach Kevin Boyd and his team expected anything less than a postseason berth. 

The Sun Devils suffered many key injuries throughout the season which were major factor in its midseason collapse, losing seven straight games.

Senior superstar Cali Farquharson injured her hamstring in September,  causing her to miss four games. ASU lost all four of the contests without their leading scorer. 

ASU's last season run provides optimism for the future and gives the graduating seniors a good way to go out. They finished the regular season on a 5-1-1 run. Here's a breakdown of each position and how they did this season, and what it will look like in 2016.

Forwards

Farquharson was the best player on the field for the Sun Devils the moment she donned the maroon and gold. She has led the team in scoring each year since her freshman season and despite missing four games, 2015 was no different. Farquharson led the team with ten goals 0.71 goals per game was first in the Pac-12. She was recently named to the All-Pac-12 First Team.

It's near impossible to replace Farquharson's production with just one player but the Sun Devils have a couple of incoming juniors who can keep a goaltender on their toes. 

Aly Moon was named an All-Pac-12 Honorable mention after an excellent sophomore season. With four goals and five assists, she had the second most points on the team behind Farquharson. As a freshman, she scored ten goals and had six assists as well. 

After Farquharson's injury, sophomore Jessica Raybe became a star in the Sun Devil offense. She scored five goals putting her second on the team. Raybe was a huge reason ASU finished the season on a high note, scoring four goals in the final seven games of the season. Look for Raybe and Moon to be one of the best forward combinations in the Pac-12 next year.

Midfielders

Redshirt junior Lucy Laura was the star on ASU's midfield in 2015. Her 19 shots on goal was second on the team behind Farquharson and she lead the team in assists with six. She also contributed three goals this season, putting her tied for fourth on the team.

ASU lost senior Tommi Goodman to injury midseason and she was only able to play nine games. Mackenzie Semerad was one of four players to play every game this season. Semerad finished up her final season in Tempe with three assists on the year.

Madison Kmetko saw increased playing time at the end of the season in Goodman's absence, and she could become a key contributor during her junior season in 2016.

Defense

ASU will lose McKenzie Berryhill, a former All-Pac-12 First Team member, to graduation. She had another successful year finishing with three goals and three assists.

Sophomore Madison Stark stepped up this season and became one the ASU's most reliable contributors. Stark was named All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention and she's got two more years of eligibility to get better.

Alongside Berryhill, ASU will also lose Sara Tosti to graduation. Tosti has been extremely versatile for the Sun Devil's playing at both forward and defender throughout her four years. 

The Sun Devils backline was able to help hold their team outscore opponents 34-19 on the year.

Keeper

Chandler Morris finished her redshirt senior season as the schools all-time leader in shutouts with 25. She recorded six this season and had 59 saves on the year. 

Ashley March will likely be the one replacing Morris in goal next season. March will be entering her junior season in 2016 and has proven she can get it done. In a scrimmage early this year, March held Beijing Normal University scoreless, saving all four shots on net. 

Reach the reporter at Lucas.Taglienti@asu.edu or follow @ltaglientivevo on Twitter

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×