First half recap: ASU 14, Washington State 10

The Sun Devils lead 14-10 at halftime in Pullman

Football Oregon Mike Bercovici Gary Chambers overtime TD reaction
ASU quarterback Mike Bercovici, left, celebrates with teammate wide receiver Gary Chambers, right, after running in a touchdown in overtime on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz. The Ducks beat the Sun Devils 61-55 in the third overtime period.

Sophomore running back Demario Richard powered through for a six-yard touchdown run on ASU football's first trip to the red zone in Pullman Saturday, and the Sun Devils led Washington State at halftime.

The Cougars had little answer for ASU's ground game – on the following drive, sophomore running back Kalen Ballage ran for a nine-yard touchdown to cap a 10-play, 64-yard drive to go up 14-0 with 10:43 to go in the first quarter .

The ASU defensive line established pressure on redshirt sophomore quarterback Luke Falk early and maintained it often, with three sacks and four hurries in the first half. 

Each team played a relatively clean first half, blemished merely by one turnover by each side. 

Freshman defensive back Kareem Orr intercepted Falk on first down at the 8:23 mark in the first quarter. 

Senior wide receiver Devin Lucien fumbled after a 21-yard catch, leading to Washington State's first points: a 22-yard field goal, when the ball was forced out by redshirt sophomore cornerback Kirkland Parker. 

Redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici completed 10 of 17 passes for 95 yards on the half. 

Senior safety Jordan Simone, a Washington native and Washington State transfer, led the way for the Sun Devils with eight solo tackles. 

A controversial "fifth down" after an inadvertent whistle gave the Cougars a chance to replay a fourth and five, which Falk turned into an 11-yard touchdown pass to redshirt senior wide receiver Dom Williams to bring the Cougars within four points. 

Falk finished 16 for 28 with 148 passing yards spread amongst six different receivers.

The Sun Devils have the option to receive the second half kickoff.

Reach the sports editor at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×