First half recap: ASU 27, California 10

The Sun Devils jumped out in front the Golden Bears after one half in Berkeley

Redshirt senior wide receiver Devin Lucien celebrates after scoring a touchdown in the second half of a game on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz. ASU came back in the second half to win the game 27-17.

Even after the emotional high of the Territorial Cup game last weekend, ASU football came to play in Berkeley against Cal Saturday night – and then some, leading 27-10 at the break after a strong offensive showing. 

Zane Gonzalez made a 21-yard field goal to finish off a 15-play, 72-yard drive that spanned 5:28 to get the Sun Devils (6-5) on the board first and up 3-0 with 9:32 to go in the first quarter.

Junior quarterback Jared Goff answered by leading the Golden Bears (6-5) on a nine-play, 47 yard drive to tie the game at three on Cal's opening possession. 

A week removed from a career-high in yardage, redshirt senior wide receiver Devin Lucien was redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici's top target in the early going. The duo connected for three scores in the first half alone, and Lucien (six catches for 107 yards) accounted for 55 percent of ASU's total offensive yardage in the half. 

Lucien scored on a nine-yard pass from Bercovici after freshman wide receiver Noah Kanawai fumbled a punt from junior Matt Haack that was recovered by redshirt sophomore Marcus Ball.

At the tail end of a nine-play, 71 yard drive, Lucien caught a three-yard pass from Bercovici, his second of the half with 11 minutes to go in the second quarter. 

A little more than two minutes later, on the ensuing ASU possession, Bercovici found Lucien yet again, this time for a 36-yard touchdown on a post route to put the Sun Devils out in front 24-3 with 8:46 to go. 

Goff responded with a quick strike, a 52-yard slant to senior wide receiver Bryce Treggs that the Inglewood, California native took to the house to bring the Golden Bears within 24-10.

Gonzalez nailed a 45-yard field goal to pad ASU's first half lead with 3:32 to go.

Sophomore running back Demario Richard rushed for 55 yards on 17 carries, and sophomore running back Kalen Ballage, who appeared to have minor shoulder pain, briefly was examined on the sideline and ran for 31 yards on five carries.

Goff completed 14 of 25 attempts and threw a touchdown pass, Tregg was the leading Cal receiver with three catches for 85 yards. 

The Golden Bears have the option to receive the second half kickoff. 

Reach the sports editor at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×