From Bieber to JLO, the American Music Awards was the most spectacular night for music in 2015

Pentatonix performs at the American Music Awards on Sunday, Nov. 22, 2015, at the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles.

Pop music’s biggest artists were honored last night at the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles, including One Direction, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj, all of whom scored big awards last night.  

One Direction received the highest honor of the night when they were named Artist of the Year. This is the second time the boy band has received this honor. Another big winner of the night was The Weeknd, who took home the award for Favorite male Artist and Favorite R&B Soul Album. 

Aside from awards the show featured many outstanding performances that made for an entertaining two hour show. Here is a list of the five most memorable moments from the show. 

1. Jenny From The Block’s Opening Performance

Jennifer Lopez hosted the show and did not disappoint. Kicking off the show with a killer dance medley, Lopez got the audience moving. The 46 year old wowed the crowd as she danced to “Uptown Funk”, “Hotline Bling”, “Love More” and “Bitch better Have My Money”. She even incorporated a hit of her own with “Waiting For Tonight”.  Her performance would be followed by a standing ovation from the audience. Even rapper and former ex, Diddy, gave a shout out to his former flame saying “Give it up for J.L.O”  after her performance. 

2. Meghan Trainor and Charlie Purth kiss

The pair sang a medley of their hits with Trainors “Like I’m Going To Lose You” and Purth’s “Marvin Gaye”.  However the viewers were shocked when the performance turned into a make-out session on stage. If this was a PR stunt, it definitely worked as this became the moment everyone was talking about.  Shortly after the performance, speculation of the two being a couple began to emerge. Despite this, Purth went on Twitter to deny the rumors, saying that they are just friends.  

3. Penatonix’s Star Wars tribute

The talented five-piece group took to the stage last night to sing a Star Wars medley.  This medley served as a tribute to John Williams. Williams was the composer of the original Star Wars score. After the performance, the group stated on twitter  that performing on the AMA stage was “a dream”. What was even more exciting about the performance was that Harrison Ford himself was there to introduce the group. During his introduction, he reflected on the immense contribution that Williams had on cinema.  This was a great treat for all the Star Wars fans waiting patiently for the new movie.  

4. Bieber singing in the rain

Last night was a good night for Bieber, as he took home the award for Collaboration of The Year. Bieber closed the show with a medley of his hits. These hit included “What Do You Mean?”, “Where Are You Know?” and “Sorry”. The highlight of the performance was during the last number “Sorry”, when rain came from the ceiling and Bieber continued dancing in it. It was pretty impressive to see him dancing in the rain and this was probably one of the best performances of the night.  

5. Celine Deon and Paris

Millions of people around the world have come together in support of the recent attacks in Paris. Last night the AMA's decided to pay tribute to the victims in Paris with a performance by Deon. The Canadian singer took to the stage to perform "Hymne à l'amour". The song is a popular French song, sung by Edith Piaf. Dion's raw vocals filled the audience with emotion and it stood as a reminder to the world that we stand by Paris.

×