The Happiest Camper travels across nation to promote artistic positivity

happiest_camper

Charlavail Effron leads her meetup to promote artistic positivity at Encanto Park in Phoenix on Nov. 29, 2015.

Orlando native Charlavail Effron stopped in Phoenix at Encanto Park this Sunday for her project, The Happiest Camper, to meet with her followers and discuss artistic positivity. Effron, whose artist and social media name is Vail, sells art out of her camper and spreads positivity through the sale of her craft.

In February, Vail bought an old trailer camper to restore. She spent months getting it ready for the road with help from her family. In July, she set off on a journey across the country doing meetups to spread positivity and creativity, as well as selling her art out of her camper. 

“By the end of the year, I’ll have done 9,000 miles solo,” Vail said. “I’m overwhelmed with how incredible all the people are I’ve met on this trip, absolutely brilliant and stunning young individuals. My heart is so full. I want to embrace each person and tell them how much I love them for who they are.”

Vail is currently in the second installment of her journey, for which she encourages people to join her meetups. Guests gathered together on the floor where Vail had set materials for each person to work on their own embroidery hoop.

Vail then gave a quick tutorial for everyone who had never embroidered before. The hoops had patterns previously outlined with her signature messages, such as “Be Nice,” “Be You” and “Happiest Camper.” Everyone sat mingling for a couple of hours getting to know more about Vail and one another. 

After a couple of hours, Vail opened up her camper for the guests to shop and take photos. Guests could purchase prints, buttons and shirts. The money from these purchases help Vail continue her journey on the road. Vail said she wants to make everybody feel like somebody. She uses her art to help spread positive messages.

More than 20 people showed up to the Phoenix meetup. Everyone greeted one another and met with other fans. Communications sophomore Jazmyn Walker said she was surprised to see so many people.

“I thought I was the only one who knew who she was,” she said. “It’s so nice to meet other fans and people who look up to her.”

Attendee Beatrice Quijada was one of those many fans who was excited to be there and surrounded by a positive atmosphere.

"I really loved the meetup," she said. "I've been to a lot of other meet and greets, not to put those down, but this one was so nice because someone that I Iook up to ... this craft day let me talk to her in a one-on-one way."

Vail will spend her week in Arizona and will be back on the road by the end of this week. She will begin her journey toward the East Coast starting Saturday with a stop in Albuquerque.

“I see the smiles on your faces and your determination to embrace positivity, even on the hard days,” Vail said. “(I see) how you look at the stranger sitting next to you with friendly eyes and a lack of judgment. This community means the world to me; it’s helped me overcome so much.”

Reach the reporter at amnezar1@asu.edu or follow @yelyahdavisy0rk on Twitter.

×