Students of color at University of Missouri and Yale University are not alone when speaking up about their experience with racism at their respective, predominantly white, institutions. It is no surprise that these elite institutions will now join the ranks of great institutions like Penn State, Texas Tech University, Duke University, University of Florida and the institution we proudly claim the most innovative, ASU.

It would be great if it were innovative enough to create methods to combat the racism students of color face on campus. And asking student football fans to voluntarily choose not to wear blackface to a Blackout Sun Devil football game is not innovative enough to make us feel welcome in the Sun Devil family.

As three non-traditional students of color, all fathers, two USAF Veterans and a full-time employee who splits his time between work, family and pursuit of a college degree, yes, these narratives are not unique. There are a large number of non-traditional students that work hard to allocate and sacrifice time to seek a higher education in hopes to make a better life for their family. But, the common denominator we have with Yale and Missouri is that as Sun Devils of color, we have to deal with systemic racism and micro-aggressions above and beyond being concerned about our education. Instead, we have to worry about black and brown stereotypes that precede our presence on campus and in classrooms. 

In our own ways, we have spoken up to students, administrators and faculty members about the unfair treatment we receive on campus and in our classrooms. As older students, we are too familiar with what it is like to be adversely treated by law enforcement, followed in stores and looked at as a criminal because of racist stereotypes related to our arbitrary traits.

USA Today reports in 2014 that ASU Athletics accrued $74,729,269 in total revenue. It would not be far-fetched to say if one of the Sun Devil sports teams decided to protest like the Missouri Tigers football team for social change on our campus, the administration’s hand would be forced to choose the most important. However, in the case of students of color, it is no longer only about our education. It is about our lives.  

Marco Pina, Creative Writing (Poetry), Senior

Joel Salcido, Creative Writing (Poetry), Senior

Rashaad Thomas, Justice Studies, Senior

Gutta’ Collective (A Trio of Poets)

×