People's sexiest (white) man alive disappoints dream of diversity

ENTER MOVIE-OSCARS 112 LA
Channing Tatum arrives at the 87th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 22, 2015, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. (Jay L. Clendenin/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Walking through the grocery store one afternoon in 2014, I passed by Chris Hemsworth, deemed the "Sexiest Man Alive," sitting handsomely on the cover of People magazine. My sister and I grinned knowingly at the long-haired demigod, otherwise known as the titular character in the Marvel movie "Thor." We snatched up the magazine and looked through the list to see if our favorites had made the cut.

As we flipped through, I began to notice a recurring theme in these unreasonably attractive musicians, athletes and actors. Some had blonde hair, some were brunettes. Some had green eyes, others had blue. But what was the one clause in the contract most of these sexy men seemed to have signed? 

Skin as white as snow.

Since its origin in 1985, People magazine has been handpicking the “Sexiest Man Alive” from the endless bunch of attractive men in Hollywood and beyond. According to USA Today, employees at "People" magazine observe various male celebrities throughout the year, and usually one hunk in particular rises above the rest. Then the editors meet, debate and make their selections.

Mel Gibson was the first. JFK Jr. followed suit three years after. Patrick Swayze (may he rest in peace) danced his way to the title. Richard Gere, Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Johnny Depp have all won twice. I looked up the history of such an honor and the trend in the gentlemen who wore this crown is remarkable. 

2014: As previously stated, Chris Hemsworth.

2013: Adam Levine, lead singer (and often only known member) of Maroon 5. Also one of the current judges on NBC’s "The Voice."

2012: Channing Tatum, actor, best known for his roles in "Step Up", "21 Jumpstreet" and "Magic Mike." (low whistle).

2011: Bradley Cooper, actor and producer, achieved fame for his roles in the comedy series "The Hangover" and the critically acclaimed romance/comedy/drama film "Silver Linings Playbook" in which he starred alongside the always lovely Jennifer Lawrence. (Was I the only one surprised by this choice? No offense, Brad…)

And the list goes on and on and on …

Don’t get me wrong, I love the big hunk of goldie-locked gorgeousness that is Chris Hemsworth just as much as the next girl. I would "Step Up" and say "The Vow" for Channing Tatum any day. (Come on, those were pretty good.)

But where is Mario Lopez? William Levy? Antonio Banderas? Where is Jessie Williams? Idris Elba? Michael Ealy? 

Well, some of them are in there: sprinkled across the magazine pages like toppings in a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Yes, I acknowledge and appreciate seeing Korean-American actor, Ki Hong Lee from "The Maze Runner", make the list. He clocks in at No. 4.

Let me be frank. Unless it's "Ebony," "Essence" or "Hip Hop Weekly," non-white men are often found on the inside of magazines instead of on the cover. Putting men of color on the inside of the magazine says that these men are (ehhh) good-looking, but only a white man can be number one.

Chris Hemsworth is currently carrying on this 29-year-old tradition of chiseled white men.

The one exception? Denzel Washington in 1996: a chiseled African American man.

In my mind, this is a depressingly static interpretation of who Hollywood thinks is deserving to be a leading man. Why isn't the public allowed to be a part of the decision-making process? You’re either a white dude or you’re Denzel Washington. Using Washington as evidence of equality is a cop out. Washington is the easy way out. It’s like when someone says something extremely offensive and then counters with, “I’m not racist/sexist/homophobic! I have plenty of friends who are (insert minority group).” In other words, People magazine can’t be discriminating because, “Look! They included Denzel!”

Are issues like this the end of the world? Probably not. Do we have bigger fish to fry? Probably so. Should this still be an topic we notice and work to change? Absolutely.

The 2015 Sexiest Man Alive will be announced on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" on Tuesday, Nov. 17, and I would love to see a man of color wear the crown and be called the Sexiest Man Alive. Until then what other pale, square-jawed man do you think will snatch the title?

The distorted meaning of discrimination

‘Color blindness’ is idealistic, not realistic

Reach the columnist at nlilley@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @noelledl_

×