5 celebrities that also served in the military

US NEWS KENNEDYCENTER-HONORS 11 MCT
Actor Morgan Freeman greets another guest at the Kennedy Center Honors reception at the White House on Sunday, December 2, 2012 in Washington, D.C.

Nov. 11 is a day to recognize all American veterans who have served the country, both in war and in peacetime. Many of the country's most iconic celebrities have served in the military, often before celebrity status, but sometimes during their onstage careers. Here are five of the most notable celebrity veterans in American culture:

Morgan Freeman

Freeman ("The Shawshank Redemption," "Se7en," "Driving Miss Daisy") may be one of the most popular narrators and actors in the country, but it wasn't always clear that he would become a star. Freeman was very young when he discovered the spotlight — by age nine, he was the lead in the school play, and when he was 12-years-old he won a statewide drama competition. 

Although he enjoyed performance art, his dream was to be a fighter pilot, so after high school, he turned down a partial drama scholarship from Jackson State University and instead enlisted in the Air Force. He served for four years as an Automatic Tracking Radar Repairman and rose to the rank of Airman 1st Class. 

However, the Air Force wasn't quite what he had expected; instead of flying his own jet, he served as a mechanic and radar technician on the ground. When he realized that he loved the idea of the job more than the job itself, he left the military and moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting.

Elvis Presley

The best-selling solo artist in the history of recorded music was well established in his career as a rock star when he was drafted to serve in the Army in 1957, shortly following the release of his first film, "Love Me Tender." Despite tons of media attention at his induction, Presley announced that he wanted to be treated just like any other soldier, and after training in Texas, he served two years in Friedburg, Germany. There he met his future wife, Priscilla Beaulieu.

Presley's producers were well-prepared for his two-year hiatus and they were able to release ten pre-recorded top 40 hits between his induction and discharge. They also released four compilation albums that sold well and kept his fans loyal until his honorable discharge (and return to the stage) in 1960.

Adam Driver

Driver ("Girls," "While We Were Young," "This Is Where I Leave You") joined the Marine Corps shortly after the 9/11 attacks. He trained at Camp Pendleton in California in preparation to be deployed in Iraq, only to be medically discharged just two years in, after breaking his sternum while mountain biking.

Although he was disappointed to be discharged early, Driver decided to take on a new challenge and studied at the University of Indianapolis before transferring to the Juilliard School to study drama. After graduation, he performed on and off Broadway before breaking into the film industry in 2011. Driver was recently announced as a villain in the highly-anticipated "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

Bea Arthur

Before her career in theater and television began, Arthur ("The Golden Girls," "Maude," "Lovers and Other Strangers") volunteered and served in the Marine Corps during WWII as a truck driver and typist. She was honorably discharged in 1945, and after a divorce she decided to pursue a career in show business. After studying at the Dramatic Workshop of The New School in New York, she began acting onstage in the late 1940s before eventually transitioning to include film and TV as well.

Drew Carey

Comedy icon Drew Carey ("The Drew Carey Show," "Whose Line is it Anyway?") served in the Marine Corps Reserve from 1980-1986 after dropping out of Kent State University and battling depression. There he gained the structure, self-assurance and direction he had been looking for, and when he left, his career in comedy took off. He kept his crew cut and horn-rimmed glasses and they became a part of his signature style as he went on to become one of the biggest stars in comedy.

Reach the reporter at skylar.mason@asu.edu or follow @skylarmason42 on Twitter.

×