As a college student, learning how to nail your first professional interview may be a bit of a struggle. Many students are intimidated to break into whatever it is that they want to do. 

However, there is absolutely no need to stress over trying out for any sort of position. At best, you are able to get whatever it may be that you tried for. At worst, you will have gained even more experience for you to carry into your next audition/interview. College is about putting yourself out there and trying new things, so never allow your insecurities to pull you back.

Whether it is trying out for a team, running for a leadership position in a student organization or interviewing for an internship or starting a new club, there are three simple tips to help calm your nerves.

• Look the part — Looking clean, appropriate and respectable is half the battle. If you are going to speak with your dean about starting a new club, show up in something business casual. If you are going for a job interview at a local restaurant, keep it simple, there is no need to go overboard and show up in a suit. If you have an interview for a huge internship opportunity, however, most definitely dress it up.
  • Be prepared — Consider a few likely questions that you may be asked and make sure to have a truthful and intelligent way to answer them. Here are a few to keep in mind: Why do you want this position? What are your skills and how will you use them to benefit this organization? What is your end goal and how would this contribute to you achieving it? What are your qualifications, how is this job relevant to experiences that you have had in the past?
  • Do your research — Do not ever go into an audition, meeting or interview blind. Try to know as much as possible about the organization, company or team. This is incredibly useful for a variety of reasons. The first reason is that you owe it to yourself to know about what or who you are trying to get involved with. You want to be sure that your goals and values align with the goals and values of whatever it may be that you are attempting to become a part of. Another reason is that oftentimes employers will want to see if you have done your research. For example, they may want to know what your thoughts are on the mission statement, so be sure to find out what exactly it is first. This is important because doing your research shows that you are serious about wanting this opportunity. It shows initiative and a basic curiosity.

These three fundamental techniques are all things that anyone can do and when combined with class, confidence and a little bit of charm, they make for a rock solid interview. This is the time to thrust yourself out and into the world, be fearless and never pass up an opportunity for success. 

Reach the columnist at Alexis.Berdine@asu.edu or follow @AlexisBerdine on Twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×