Watching anime, gaming and learning basic Japanese — ASU's anime club offers students a community to understand a culture through its art.

Anime Avalon is dedicated to providing an anime viewing experience like none other, according to its website. The club takes an overarching approach to understanding the history, achievements and fundamental influences behind anime.

“There is a huge anime fan base here at ASU and Anime Avalon invites anyone of those fans or anyone who is interested to join us in sharing our appreciation for Japanese animations,” club founder and biology alumnus Kewmars Keyvani said.

The club hosts general meetings every other Monday from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in Coor. General meetings consist of watching three individual anime followed by a social hour. After the break, members watch two more episodes of anime and discuss future club events.

Anime Avalon organizes off-campus events as well. Karaoke, ramen night, playing video games at Dave & Buster’s and going to movies are a few of the activities they plan.

“Many of our members have also found the club meetings to be a wonderful place to share their hobbies such as cosplaying, studying Japanese, drawing, photography, and gaming,” Keyvani said.

Anime Avalon was modeled after an anime club Keyvani was a part of when he was studying abroad at Queen’s University in Canada.

“What made this club stand out for me was that it strived on bringing members together, giving everyone a sense of belonging,” Keyvani said. “When I left Canada, I wanted to bring a similar anime experience to ASU.”

Founded in 2013, the club has grown from an average of 15 members to 50 members in 2015. Anime Avalon members work together to support the local community as well. This year the club raised $100 for cancer research through Relay for Life.

“My favorite part about this club is seeing how close members are with each other and that they feel the same sense of belonging I did in the anime club at Queen's," Keyvani said. "Members coming together to share and learn about each other’s hobbies is what really helps Anime Avalon stand out.” 

Avalon is the name of a paradise island in the King Arthur folklore that Keyvani likes to compare the club to, he said.

The club’s second officer and criminal justice senior Ethan Hamilton said one of the coolest aspects of Anime Avalon is that the club members have the autonomy to choose the anime they watch and the activities they plan.

“We have a poll online where members can nominate anime and vote on the nominations,” he said.

Learning more about Japanese culture through animation with other anime fans was what got Hamilton interested in Anime Avalon.

Because ASU is so large, it can be difficult to meet people with similar interests. The club benefits ASU students by providing a unique sense of community and belonging, club president and biology junior Yesenia Rodriguez-Sanchez said.

“Meeting people is the big thing for me, I live off campus so I don’t get a chance to interact with people that often which makes anime club a great outlet to hang out with people that are into the same thing,” Rodriguez-Sanchez said.

Anime Avalon prides itself on providing an inclusive and respectful community for its members.

“A lot of people have a stigma against anime because they think it’s a kid thing,” Rodriguez-Sanchez said. “But If you have a hobby within anime, if you like watching anime, cosplay, going to conventions, this is the club for you because you get to meet other people with those same interests.”

Reach the reporter at pscottha@asu.edu or follow @sgt_preston on Twitter.

×