10-foot menorah to be lit for Hanukkah by USG President Isaac Miller

Chabad at ASU will be celebrating the first day of Hanukkah on Dec. 6 by lighting a 10-foot-tall menorah at Memorial Union on the Tempe campus. 

Seven years ago, a student built the menorah constructed out of PVC pipes, Rabbi Mendy Rimler, program coordinator, said.

“We want to celebrate the power of the menorah and its message," Mendy said. "The reason why it was so important for us to build this was because the goal is to send a very clear message to all people, regardless of their faith, their background, that we share a spark of hope for making this world a better place."

For the past ten years, the Chabad has been lighting the menorah on ASU’s campus.

Each year, the menorah is spray painted maroon and gold, Mendy said. This year, it will be wired up and fully electric.

Sarah Rimler, program coordinator at Chabad at ASU, said she encourages people of all religions to come since the menorah is a symbol of religious freedom.

“All students, regardless of religion or anything are invited to come to the menorah lighting,” she said.

This year, Tempe Undergraduate Student Government President Isaac Miller will be lighting the menorah.

“What we like to do is honor someone, and ask them to light the menorah, and Isaac has been a great friend of ours and a great resource to have," Rimler said. "So we really appreciate his character and thought he would be the perfect candidate to light it."

Miller meets with groups on campus, whether faith-based or not, to support the students.

"The menorah lighting means to me that I get to show support for faith-based groups on campus on behalf of USG,” he wrote in an email.

A party will follow the menorah lighting at 971 South Ash Avenue, and Jewish delicacies will be served.

8 CRAZZZZY reasons why you want to come to the Menorah Lighting and Party!1. UNLIMITED SUFGANYOT2. UNLIMITED...

Posted by Chabad at ASU on Monday, 30 November 2015

Reach the reporter at jenny.ung@asu.edu or follow @jenny__ung on twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×