Tempe Police: Nervous man is suspicious with firearm

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 25-year-old Tempe man was arrested Nov. 20 on the 2000 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of misconduct involving a deadly weapon and a prohibited weapon, possession of narcotic drugs and for delay and obstruction of justice, according to a police report.

A Tempe officer contacted the man riding his bicycle on Apache Boulevard for not having a red reflector on his bicycle, according to the report.

When the officer spoke to the man, the man appeared to be extremely nervous and kept putting his hands in his pockets, police reported. 

The officer asked the man if he had any weapons in his pockets and the man said no, according to the report.

When the officer attempted to pat the the man down, the man immediately tried to ride his bicycle away from the officer on the sidewalk against the flow of traffic, police reported.

The officer then grabbed onto the man and brought him to the ground, where the man yelled that he had a gun in his front right pocket, according to the report. 

The officer found a small gun that had one bullet in the chamber in the man's front right pocket, police reported. 

During an interview, the man told officers that he was afraid to mention the gun in his pocket because he had just gotten it from a friend, and he did not know if it was illegal to carry a gun in Arizona, according to the report.

The man originally told the officer that he was not a convicted felon and only was arrested once in California for burglary, police reported. A criminal history check revealed that he was a convicted felon for burglary, according to the report. 

The man said he thought the charge was reduced and did not know if it was illegal for him to possess a firearm, police reported.

When the officer searched the man, he found four light blue round pills inside a pack of cigarettes in his front left pocket, which were later revealed to be Alprazolam, according to the report. The man didn't have a prescription for the pills with him, police reported. 

The officer then found a usable amount of black tar substance later revealed to be heroin next to the pills, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Kelcie Grega.

Tempe Police: Woman steals underwear at Walmart, hides meth pipe in bra

Tempe Police: Man threatens officer with gun he hasn’t bought yet

Reach the news editor at kgrega@asu.edu or follow @kelciegrega on Twitter.

×