In an ever-growing digital age, piracy is no longer the only way to find an album online for free. In 2015, many artists embraced a non-existent price tag and released their albums free of charge. Some artists were known nationally and some were local acts, but in the end, their music has the same value. Here are a few albums released for free in 2015 that you may have missed.

"Hey Thanks Goodbye" by Captain Samurai

"Hey Thanks Goodbye" was released by Arizona band Captain Samurai last November. The album is a lo-fi indie pop effort that clocks in at about thirty minutes. It is pop and fun, but not exactly happy, with negative lyrics and light-hearted instrumentals. It is not exactly bursting with positivity, but the album takes advantage of that dichotomy. Captain Samurai makes an effort to explain how it can be cool to be a loser — and does just that.

"Surf" by Donnie Trumpet and the Social Experiment

Donnie Trumpet and the Social Experiment, the Neo-Soul group known for its collaborations with Chance The Rapper, released its debut album "Surf" for free on iTunes in late May. The album features rappers such as Big Sean and B.o.B, and it was pumped up with singles like "Sunday Candy." The album has a distinctive, smooth feel and it's hard not to catch a groove when listening to this album. The Social Experiment had a lot of expectations to live up to with Chance The Rapper’s growing popularity, but it took the pre-album hype and ran with it.

"I Want You to Crowdsurf My Body at My Funeral" by Red Tank!

Red Tank!, an Arizona punk-rock group released "I Want You to Crowdsurf My Body at My Funeral" over the summer of 2015. The album is fast and exciting. Tracks like “13 Demons” and “Sovereignty” sound like skate-punk songs from 1985. When listening to the album, it feels a lot like seeing the band live right in front of you, because the band captured its raw energy on record. I recommend playing this album loud. 

"F--k the Money" by Talib Kweli

Talib Kweli surprised hip-hop fans by releasing this obscenely titled album for free in August. Upon listening, it's easy to forget that you don't have to pay for the album because of its exceptional quality. Its self-titled track is a great piece of music, and an interesting piece of ideology with expressions like, "capitalism is a cataclysm." This album is a breath of fresh air in rap music. Kweli isn’t ignoring the aggressive, materialistic stereotype of the genre like his contemporaries, but consciously contradicting it. He is facing the head on through his lyrical content. It seems like the entire album is an affront to capitalism, which would explain the album’s title and free release.

"Business" by Local Wizards

Local Wizards, a Seattle rock band on Arizona's Rubber Brothers Music label, released its album "Business" in January 2015. It is a very sonically interesting album that is laden with synthesizers. It is slow, mellow and perfect to chill and study to, alone or with a group of friends. Songs like “Franzia” and “Matthew McConaughey” do a great job at creating a calm atmosphere. Despite the album's chill nature, it's still a fun album to dance to. Each song completes the package and makes for a truly interesting album.

Barely old enough to smoke, Captain Samurai is teenage punk music way ahead of its years

The best of albums of 2015 (so far), courtesy of The State Press arts editors

Reach the reporter at jdarge@asu.edu or follow @jeffdarge on Twitter.

×