'Frozen' star Idina Menzel challenges Gammage stage with grace and totally called for profanity in 'If/Then'

If/ThenRichard Rodgers Theatre
If/Then Richard Rodgers Theatre Cast List: Idina Menzel LaChanze Anthony Rapp James Snyder Jerry Dixon Jenn Colella Jason Tam Tamika Lawrence Joe Cassidy Miguel Cervantes Curtis Holbrook Stephanie Klemons Tyler McGee Ryann Redmond Joe Aaron Reid Ann Sanders Production Credits: Michael Greif (Direction) Larry Keigwin (Choreography) Mark Wendland (Scenic Design) Emily Rebholz (Costume Design) Kenneth Posner (Lighting Design) Brian Ronana (Sound Design) Carmel Dean (Musical Direction) Tom Kitt and Michael Starobin (Orchestrations) Other Credits: Lyrics by: Brian Yorkey Music by: Tom Kitt Book by: Brian Yorkey

Most folks can recall when Idina Menzel took the world by storm with her smash-hit, “Let it Go,” from the record-breaking Disney animated film “Frozen.” It was not a surprise to admire her belting out soprano notes in her new musical “If/Then.

Yet, if you walk into “If/Then” looking for the same Disney-inspired, family friendly Menzel from “Frozen,” you’re about to be quickly shaken out of that dream.

Within the first ten minutes, Menzel's character Elizabeth shamelessly drops the f-bomb (the first of many), with no warning necessary. The profanity seems like a simple yet daring avenue to warn the audience to “let (Frozen) go” and pay attention to what’s really popping on stage.

The show follows Elizabeth, who is a middle-aged woman, just starting to hit that universal “crisis” stage in her life. During the performance, the plot takes wild twists and turns as the story splits into two separate possible life paths for Elizabeth to take.

Watch ASU Gammage celebrate its 50th anniversary

On one side, “Liz” decides to seek out new experiences after returning to New York City from the west. She helps to set up her college ex-boyfriend with a super cute guy who works in the medical field. However, on the other, “Beth” focuses on succeeding in her new city planning job. Both Liz and Beth are future versions of Elizabeth. 

The story gets a bit confusing, because generally, the plot switches from Liz to Beth with either no or little introduction or transition. The rest of the cast members alongside Elizabeth remain the exact same. Each simply play different roles in her life on the two separate paths.

The plot sounds like one hell of a mouthful, but it’s honestly not so bad when Menzel's character has you hysterically laughing out loud every five seconds. Just be sure to pay close attention while in the midst of giggles, especially during catchy songs like “What the F--k?” and “I Hate You” to keep you on your toes.

“If/Then” will be performed on the ASU Gammage stage until Jan. 17, on its first ever national tour. The show enlisted a legitimate all-star cast. Menzel casually picked up a Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical in 2004 for performance as Elphaba in the original Broadway production of “Wicked.”

Broadway icon, LaChanze plays Kate, a lesbian kindergarten teacher who befriends Elizabeth from the start. LaChanze slayed the Color Purple back in 2006 when she was prestigiously honored with the “Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical.” Co-star Anthony re-joins Menzel on the stage after first rising to fame alongside her in the Broadway production of “Rent” in 1996.

One of the best reasons why you should see “If/Then,” is because it’s a musical like no other. Others will follow the stereotypical guidelines and standards of stage etiquette.

“If/Then” is the first major production to truly mirror what U.S. life in 2016 is like. There is a nonstop use of technology, from iPhones and iPads, which is not generally presented in Broadway musicals, even though it is reality of how people occupy their time in reality.

There are LGBT couples and characters who experience the same relationship and dating issues as the heterosexual characters. The best part is: out of the two lesbians, one bisexual male, and one gay male, none of those characters were strictly defined by their sexuality. This is huge breakthrough in the representation of the queer community in media because of the stereotypes previously placed on them. 

Overall, "If/Then" is one of the best new musicals to hit the road. The show tastefully breaks down the barriers of the stage, and it’s definitely worth the high-price to spend a night surrounded by absolute talent.

To purchase tickets to "If/Then" and for more information, click here.

'Frozen Sing-Along' brings new life to Disney smash hit

Disney’s 'Frozen' melts hearts through touching themes

Reach the reporter at kkingsum@asu.edu or follow @kaylakingsumner on Twitter.

×