Uncover the hidden gems of Netflix with arts reporter Noelle Lilley each week as she taps into this treasure-trove of undiscovered potential.

Welcome once again to Netflix Unknowns! In this week's post, you'll hear all about the 2014 comedy-drama film (colloquially known as a "dramedy") "Comet," directed and written by Sam Esmail.

This was one of the many films that I had on "my list" on Netflix for weeks and would always click by without actually watching. That being said, after I finally took the time to see the movie, I've watched it at least three more times. So, I guess you can say I liked it. 

"Comet" tells the rollercoaster romance of Kimberly (Emmy Rossum) and Dell (Justin Long). From the moment he sees her, he's head over heels and pursues her relentlessly in a way that can only exist in indie rom-coms. Similar to "500 Days of Summer," the highs and lows of their relationship are not shown in chronological order but instead they are narrated by jumping to and from different key moments. Through this technique, "Comet" illustrates the evolution and eventual deterioration of the couple. 

Plot: 4/5

This is the kind of movie that I love. Romance, drama and humor all wrapped up with one beautiful bow. It's sad at times, but extremely realistic in its portrayal. In movies it is common to always give characters a fairy tale ending but "Comet" didn't take the easy way out. However, there were moments where I felt the sci-fi, dreamlike elements of the plot could have been toned down in preference for the actual sequence of their relationship. In some scenes the reality is intentionally left ambiguous. The audience is supposed to guess if what we're watching is actually happening, taking place in an alternate universe or some fragment of Dell's imagination. It felt as though the director wasn't sure if he wanted "Comet" to be "Twilight Zone" or "Twilight" and I admit this got a little annoying, but luckily it didn't overwhelm the plot entirely.

Cinematography: 5/5

Again, yet another gorgeous film. Lots of purples and blues. Many of the movie's scenes intercut to one another in a totally cool way, using aspects of the galaxy and universe like stars and comets — hence the movie's title. 

Card

Acting: 5/5

The acting in this movie was perfect, genuinely perfect. I wish I could give this a 6/5 but that would throw my entire rating system into anarchy and cause this blog to collapse. In a film where there are really only two main characters, the chosen actors essentially have to carry the whole plot on their shoulders. Dell and Kimberly are the only characters that we see develop and grow, so our two leads are extremely believable in their roles. I've seen Emmy Rossum in other movies (Phantom of the OperaShameless) before. Although, I wasn't familiar with Justin Long's work prior to watching this. I was beyond convinced of nearly every aspect of their relationship. Kimberly is charming, beautiful and just the right amount of wacky. Dell is intelligent, cynical but still vulnerable just beneath the surface. The audience may be torn in whom to sympathize with more. As they can understand both why Dell falls for her but at the same time they understand why Kimberly, in turn, runs away from him.

Direction: 4/5

What I liked most about this was how well-written the dialogue was. "Comet" was full of rapid-fire, humorous conversations reminiscent of Aaron Sorkin films like, "The Social Network." However, when I watched it with my mom I was intrigued by their quirky banter, whereas she was annoyed. So, ultimately, how much you enjoy the dialogue will depend more on your preference. Initially, I was wary of, and even a little confused by the movie's sequence. "500 Days of Summer" exhibits this same technique, but in a way that's easier to digest, using numbers to mark which day of the relationship the audience is seeing. In "Comet," we aren't afforded this luxury as the scenes merge and shift so that the audience has to figure out the order with which the events occurred. It can be hard to grasp the chronological order of their relationship but if you pay close enough attention then you'll get it.

Overall Average: 4.5/5

Netflix Unknowns: Copenhagen (2014)

Netflix Unknowns: Girlhood (2015)

Tell the reporter your comments about "Comet" at nlilley@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @noelledl

×