The 7 Game of Thrones characters that you have as college professors

Academia meets the wickedness of Westeros

Still of Lena Headey in Game of Thrones (2011).

It goes without saying that "Game of Thrones" has taken the TV world to a level that was inconceivable before its premiere. From its perfectly chosen cast to its breathtaking cinematography, "Game of Thrones" takes no prisoners (with the exception of Margaery — hang in there girl). 

As college students who are fans of the series, it’s impossible not to fantasize about interacting with these characters in real life (and if you haven’t thought about this, then now is your chance). Here are the seven "Game of Thrones" characters that you have had as professors during your college tenure:

1. Tyrion Lannister — The magnificently hip English professor

Card

Professor Tyrion reeks of original inspirational quotes, such as, “A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge,” and, “Death is so final, whereas life is full of possibilities.” If it’s on his mind, he says it. If he wants to do it, he does it. Tyrion would be that professor who has you reflecting years later on how he changed your life.

2. Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons — The women’s studies professor

Card

Like the 1920s suffragettes, Daenerys started from the bottom and now she’s here. Fearless, fierce and feisty, she’s ready to let her students know that women can be powerful and victorious leaders from the classroom all the way to Westeros. So take your misogynistic views back across the Narrow Sea, sit back and get ready to learn about equality.

3. Eddard Stark — The professor who is an educational loyalist and way too smart for his own good

Card

He knows everything about everything, and amazes you each time he speaks. You don’t really understand why he chose to be your college professor, but you are not complaining one bit. He will go down fighting for what is right for his students, and will never let go of his educational morality — even if it means his own head on a stake.

4. Arya Stark — The young professor with a lot of spunk

Card

7:30 a.m. class? No problem. Professor Arya will show up bright and ready to teach and relate to her students. If you think she’s one to be trifled with because of her age and size, think again. She will put you back in your place using either her quick wit or (if you’re the unruliest of the unruly) her prized sword. Don’t worry, she knows to stick ‘em with the pointy end.

5. Joffrey Lannister — The professor who grades too hard but doesn’t have a clue what he's doing

Card

There’s a reason that Joffrey’s Rate My Professor score is lower than your GPA. When you ask him questions, he will reply with a vague, snappy and convoluted response that still leaves you questioning what the course is even about. His midterms and finals will have you up all night questioning whether or not studying is worth your time at this point. But, much like Sansa and King’s Landing, you’re forced to be under his reign and hope for mercy.

6. Cersei Lannister —The professor with the awful late policy

Card

"Oh what, you came back from a journey where you fought a bear, saved a life and got your sword-hand cut off, and you think that’s a good excuse to be turning in your assignment late? GET OUT OF MY OFFICE.” Professor Cersei doesn’t care about the rhyme or reason of your tardiness; she won’t accept anything other than prompt submissions. If you’re planning on her being understanding that you came back after a death-defying voyage, where you simultaneously became a better person, don’t test your luck. It’s still not a good enough justification.

7. Jon Snow — The unequivocally attractive professor

Card

Professor Snow has the reddest of the chili peppers next to his name on Rate My Professor. Not only is Professor Snow beautiful, he's also a wonderful human being. Don’t worry about the attendance policy because you won’t be missing this one class all semester.

Bonus: White Walkers — Students

Card

An army of insomnia-ridden, caffeine-driven, "10 page finals you gotta be kiddin'" students ready to take the world on by storm. Every year, we take the freshmen into our infantry of the undead whilst battling our way to the end of another successful semester. Think we can’t conquer and change the world? Go ahead and watch us while we do.

Side note: If you haven’t seen the Game of Thrones and Coldplay collaborative musical (I promise it’s worth it) just click play here to see your new professors sing and dance it up:

'Game of Thrones' ebbs in epic finale

'Game of Thrones' Season 5 premiere is a much needed recap of series plotlines

Reach the columnist at morgan.difelice@asu.edu or follow @mcdifelice Twitter.

×