ASU hockey boasts second hat trick and shutout of the season

Freshman Joe Lappin and junior Robert Levin contribute to ASU's sweep over ACHA rival University of Arizona.

Sophomore goalie Robert Levin makes a dramatic stop as the ice flies on Jan. 22, 2015, at Oceanside Arena in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

Setting their 16 game losing streak aside, the Sun Devils (10-22-4) pursued a more positive record. Achieving two consecutive shutouts and another hat trick, ASU solidified a 6-0 win tonight against rival University of Arizona (9-17-4).

Flash back to October 3 when the new NCAA team joined together for the first time on the ice in Tucson. The team’s freshmen already knew the significance of the game, as they gathered from the seniors, who challenged Arizona repeatedly during their four years. ASU head coach Greg Powers also applied pressure, as he has never faced a loss to the Wildcats while coaching.

Even with undiscovered chemistry and a looming season full of NCAA games ahead, the Sun Devils pulled an 8-1 win over Arizona, bringing their all-time record to 49-1 against the Wildcats.

Prior to Friday, junior netminder Robert Levin understood the importance of sweeping the ACHA team.

“Being here for three years, it’s always been preached you have to beat them and play tough against them,” Levin said, who holds a .876 save percentage. “I think it would be a really good way to end the year beating them and having a good game.”

Not only did Levin stop 18 shots, but he shutout Arizona during the what could be the final hockey game in Territorial Cup history, unless Arizona makes the jump to the NCAA in the future. Last weekend, against the ACHA Liberty Flames, ASU fans witnessed the team’s first shutout, thanks to freshman goaltender David Jacobson. ASU has now played 132 minutes and 31 seconds of hockey without allowing a goal.

Jacobson’s shutout last weekend was one of many accomplishments that proved ASU freshmen’s domination this season. As of late, Powers referred to freshman goaltender Ryland Pashovitz as his “go-to guy.” Freshman winger Jordan Masters leads in points, notching 9 goals thus far.

And tonight, freshman forward Joe Lappin added a hat trick to his list of accomplishments, giving ASU its second one since Masters made Sun Devil history on January 24.

“I’m getting lucky and they’re starting to go in,” Lappin said. “It felt really good to get it against them. Always a good game, a great rivalry.”

With only one win to show from their 50 games against ASU, the Wildcats will catch a break as ASU upgrades to a full DI schedule next season.

“Hopefully, one day, U of A will elevate their program to NCAA DI status so we can pick up where we left off," Powers said.

Reach the reporter at ncorr@asu.edu or follow @natalieorr19 on Twitter.

×