34 fouls doom ASU men's basketball in overtime

The Sun Devils blew a 14-point lead over Washington.

Arizona State Sun Devils guard Tra Holder (0) looks for an opening in the Husky defense during a game against the University of Washington Huskies in Wells Fargo Arena on Saturday, Jan. 16, 2015, in Tempe, Ariz. The Huskies won the matchup, 89-85.

With "freedom of movement" rules dominating the offseason of college basketball, the ASU men's basketball team has had to deal with foul trouble. Wednesday in Seattle, however, that trouble reached new heights.

The Sun Devils (12-11, 2-8 Pac-12) committed 34 fouls and saw three players foul out in the 95-83 overtime loss to Washington.

The game started out well for ASU, going on a couple runs early and leading by as many as 14 points late in the half.

The Huskies came out firing in the second behind freshman guard Dejounte Murray, who finished with a career-high 34 points.

As the second half reached a point where its peak should have been, the officials took over the game, whistling fouls left and right and going to the monitor for reviews lasting up to 10 minutes, ending any and all momentum for either side.

The game slowed to a turtle's pace, as there were 36 fouls calls in the second half and overtime, leading to 50 combined free throws.

The Huskies had a two-point lead with 25 seconds left and a chance to put the game on ice, but Murray only made one shot, allowing ASU a chance to tie. The Sun Devils took advantage, as sophomore guard Kodi Justice banked in a 3 to tie the game, sending the teams to an extra period.

Washington dominated the overtime, outscoring ASU 17-5 in the five-minute span, making the game seem more in-hand than it truly was. Senior guard Andrew Andrews scored seven points after Murray fouled out to lift the Huskies.

ASU will next play Saturday against Washington State in Pullman. Tipoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×