ASU Softball: Taking A Look Into Sun Devil Outfielders

Seniors in outfield are expected to step up as vocal leaders.

Junior Outfielder Breona Peralta makes the play on Sunday, March 22, 2015, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe during the game against the California Bears.

Not only is ASU softball's outfield capable of defending the long ball, but their bats will speak out largely for offense this season.

Senior center fielder Jennifer Soria will be stepping up as a leader in the grass, coming in this season as the primary center fielder.

“Being in the outfield, we have to be very vocal and loud, especially when relaying calls from the catchers,” she said.

Not only is her speed an advantage to getting to balls hit deep in the gap, but her speed on offense will be a major factor in getting extra bases. Last season, Soria stole five bases in eight attempts.

She is also a heavy hitter, knocking six home runs and 21 RBI’s during her junior season. On Feb. 28 last year she hit a walk-off grand slam against Toledo to go along with a three-run walk-off home run against UCLA on May 9, which led the Sun Devils to a series victory.

Senior left fielder Abby Spiel plans on stepping up this year and generating a lot of runs for the Sun Devils.

“Being a leader on the field is important, especially being a senior,” she said.

Spiel's junior season batting average of .363 ranked her as the second-highest for them team, following behind Amber Freeman. She also had a .432 on-base percentage and had three successful stolen bases.

Spiel was named ASU’s Most Improved Player for the 2015 season. With the numbers Spiel put up last year, the possibilities are endless for what she will achieve this season.

Regardless of the loss of production seen on offense last year because of graduates, Soria still has high hopes for this season.

“Our team chemistry and the way we get along and respect each other is amazing,” she said. “I think this year is going to be great.”

It’s a whole new ball game for these Sun Devils. Their first test will be on Feb. 11 against Utah State at Farrington Stadium in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

×