ASU track and field boasts six first-place finishes in Indoor NAU Tune-up event

The Sun Devils had 23 top-five finishes in Flagstaff on Friday.

Kyle Long - Track - Hammer Throw - April 10, 2015
Sophomore Kyle Long swings the hammer on April 10, 2015 at Sun Angel Field in Tempe, AZ.

ASU track and field went to Northern Arizona University on Friday for the Indoor NAU Tune-up event, and looked ready for the next weekend's Indoor MPSF Championship meet.

The Sun Devils found success, boasting 23 top-five finishes and 14 top-three finishes. In total, six Sun Devils won their events in what head coach Greg Kraft said in a statement was a “nice day for the Sun Devils.”

The first victory of the day came from senior Jamol James, who had been injured for much of the season. James won the men’s 60-meter dash with a time of 6.63 seconds. In the win, James became the fourth best all-time runner of the 60-meter dash in ASU history.

ASU's second victory came from junior LaTroya Franklin in the women's 200-meter dash. She got first place with a time of 23.99, and her teammate, freshman Sierra Irvin, got fifth place with a time of 24.72.

After Franklin's win, ASU went six events without an ASU win. Freshman Brandon Hasson came close, taking second place in the men's 400-meter dash with a time of 48.59.

Senior Madison Davis got second in the women 800-meter run with a time of two minutes and 16.35 seconds, just one second behind first place winner.

ASU returned to first in the women's one-mile run, with a 5:14.57 finish by redshirt sophomore Jenna Maack. Her time beat the second place finish by nearly seven seconds. The Sun Devils competed in a few more events after Maack without a first-place finished, but freshman Sydney Mosley would finish third in the 60-meter hurdles in 8.59 seconds.

The triple jumpers proved their skills once again at this meet with redshirt junior Tim White getting first place with a jump of 15.40 meters. His teammate, senior Josh Dixon, was able to get second with a jump of 15.09 meters and for the women, sophomore Darreyl Woodson got second with a jump of 12 meters, about one meter behind the first-place jumper.

After the jumpers, ASU had two second-place throwers in the shot put event from redshirt sophomore Maggie Ewen and senior Ahmed Hassan. Sun Devil redshirt juniors Thomas Anderson and Kyle Long both were close, as Anderson got third with a throw of 18.09 meters and Long got fourth with 17.24 meters.

In weight throws, ASU got first place in both men and women, as Ewen got first place for the women’s with a throw of 20.68 meters, and Long got first with a throw of 18.04 meters.

Kraft was pleased with how this meet went and said that "it was more of a scrimmage with some fine tuning mixed in. We had two real highlights on the afternoon.”

ASU will have their sights set on MPSF Conference Championship that starts on Friday, Feb.26 in Seattle, Washington.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×