ABOR business and finance committee supports ASU Downtown campus expansion

Downtown Phoenix is pictured on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015. The Arizona Board of Regents has recently approved ASU’s request to expand the downtown Phoenix campus.

With a unanimous "yes" vote, the Arizona Board of Regents Business and Finance Committee supported ASU's request to expand the University's Downtown Phoenix campus on Wednesday.

The decision will move the University's request to acquire more land in downtown Phoenix to the full board.

ASU Executive Vice President of Business and Finance Morgan Olsen spoke on behalf of the University at the meeting, advocating for the purchase.

"As (the Downtown Phoenix campus) has grown, we've found the need for additional space, not only for parking, but also for potential building space, particularly for teaching and learning space," he said. "And since it is downtown Phoenix, that doesn't necessarily grow on trees."

The proposed acquisition would total about 34,848 square feet. The land, on First Avenue in downtown, is located to the west of Civic Space Park on the same block as the Sun Devil Fitness Center on the University's Downtown Phoenix campus.

The cost of the land will be roughly $4.66 million, or about $134 per square foot. 

Regents will discuss the campus expansion during a meeting on Tempe campus Thursday and Friday.

*Disclaimer: Regents did not specify what will be done with the land if purchased.

Reach the reporter at Arren.Kimbel-Sannit@asu.edu or follow @akimbelsannit on Twitter.

×