Former Sun Devils play in wild Phoenix Open tournament

Mickelson, Pinckney represented the Sun Devils in the final round of Scottsdale's annual PGA Tour event.

Phil Mickelson hits the ball out of a sand trap at the 16th hole of the Waste Management Phoenix Open on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016, at TPC Scottsdale.

Six ASU graduates played in the annual Waste Management Phoenix Open, which ended Sunday in a sudden-death playoff victory by Hideki Matsuyama.

Phil Mickelson, undoubtedly the most notable of those representing ASU in Scottsdale's PGA event, finished tied for 11th, eight under par for the tournament. His score was the best among former Sun Devils in the Open this week.

Mickelson graduated from ASU in 1992 with a degree in psychology. As a Sun Devil, he finished in the top-10 in 43 of his 51 events, and was the first player to win back-to-back NCAA men’s golf titles since 1977. Mickelson was also a first-team All-American in all four years of his collegiate career, only one of four players ever to accomplish the feat.

Since then, “Lefty” has gone on to win 42 PGA events, including five Major victories. Mickelson has won the Masters three times, as well as placing second twice in the season-end FedEx Cup standings. His brother Tim is currently the head coach of the ASU men’s golf team.

Mickelson wasn't available for comment after his round Sunday, but Scott Pinckney, a 2011 graduate of ASU who finished three-under in the Open, said he enjoyed representing ASU in his first-ever appearance in the Open.

“It’s awesome,” he said. “There’s so many ASU fans, I’m always throwing up the pitchfork and everyone’s loving it, so it’s pretty special. Especially because I have so many friends and family here, it’s awesome. It’s so much fun.”

Pinckney has two 2nd-place finishes in his PGA career and eight top-25 finishes. Since turning pro in 2011, he's earned $1.4 million in PGA winnings. He's ranked 117th in the FedEx Cup standings in 2016.

Other former Sun Devils at the tournament were Dennis Downs, Chez Reavie, Pat Perez and Matt Jones. Of those four, only Jones made it past the cuts on Friday. He finished the tournament tied for 60th.

The Phoenix Open has been played in Scottsdale since 1932 – except for a brief discontinuation – and now sets records each year for attendance. This week’s Open saw 618,365 fans, the most in Phoenix Open history. Saturday’s round alone drew 201,003.

The tournament is particularly famous (or infamous, depending on who you ask) for its 16th hole. The 163-yard par 3 is surrounded by a stadium that includes a public grandstand and suites. Unlike the rest of the course – and the other courses on the PGA Tour – noise-making, booing and outrageous behavior are not held at bay on the 16th.

“That’s so much fun, man,” Pinckney said. “I thought I’d be a little more nervous but I was able to control it a little bit. But it was so much fun. It was surreal.”

Reach the assistant sports editor at matthew.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

×