#FreeKesha: The U.S. court system handles rape all wrong

The U.S. court system needs to understand Kesha's case isn't about the music industry or the money, but about saving a victim from her abuser.

ENTER MUS-KESHA 3 ABA
Kesha arrives to the 11th Annual NRJ Music Awards 2010 held at the Palais des Festivals in Cannes, France, January 23, 2010.

On Wednesday, Kesha took to Facebook to speak about her case against her producer, Dr. Luke, stating she was grateful for the support she's received since a court ruling denied her the ability to leave her current record label. 

I stand with Kesha, and you should too. 

Here’s what you need to know

Last Friday, a New York judge denied pop singer Kesha the right to create songs outside of her record label, Sony Music. The request by the pop star was an effort to escape her alleged assaulter and longtime producer in the label, Dr. Luke. 

And this is a huge deal for Sony Music.

Luke, also known as Lukasz Sebastian Gottwald, is a major asset for the record label. The renowned producer has contributed to several of the 21st century’s biggest hits like Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone," Pink's "U + Ur Hand" and Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl.”

According to Billboard, Luke discovered Kesha at 18 years old, and has played a part in producing nearly all of her hits, including “Tik Tok,” “Die Young” and “We R Who We R." 

The “Tik Tok” singer, whose full name is Kesha Rose Sebert, filed a lawsuit against the producer in October 2014 that sought to nullify her contract with the producer, claiming he “sexually, physically, verbally, and emotionally abused Ms. Sebert to the point where Ms. Sebert nearly lost her life.”

The binding contract between Kesha and Sony Music requires the singer to create a few more records, and although the singer’s request to leave the label was denied, the New York judge said her contract allows her to work with producers aside from Luke.

Since last Friday’s ruling, fans of Kesha have started a movement to get her out of her record label’s contract using the hashtag #FreeKesha on social media.

Dispatches from the #FreeKesha rally

On Friday, Kesha fans gathered in support of the pop star outside of a courthouse in NYC.This is why. #MicCheckNow

Posted by Mic on Friday, February 19, 2016

This has been a long battle for Kesha, and it truly goes to show that the U.S. court system has no idea how to handle cases of rape.

The New York Supreme Court Justice who denied Kesha’s request to leave the label said the singer didn’t have evidence of the harm Luke inflicted over the last decade, stating, "There has been no showing of irreparable harm.”

This is just another bad example for rape victims who are seeking justice or who are too afraid to speak out.

It’s alarming to know that immediately after an attack, a victim needs to plan out how he or she acquires evidence of it. If the victim isn’t careful, they may not see their own attacker to go prison, or get the justice they feel they deserve.

Despite being brave enough to speak out, Kesha’s contractually forced to continue working with her abuser. 

As if Kesha's, or any other rape victim’s, first thought is to get proof of some kind, just in case he or she decides to speak up. That shouldn’t be what needs to be done in order to escape your abuser.

Kesha’s case tells other victims that what they say doesn’t matter and only silences them further.

Despite legal obligations, Sony Music needs to do their client justice and allow Kesha to leave. 

#FreeKesha in order to free the many victims also seeking retribution.

I'm so, so beyond humbled and thankful for all of the support I'vereceived from everyone. Words cannot really express...

Posted by Kesha on Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Reach the columnist at ambice@asu.edu or follow @alliebice on Twitter.

×