Tempe Police: iPhone app helps find burglary suspect

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Sunday:

A 39-year-old man was arrested Jan. 14 on the 200 block of East Baseline Road on suspicion of burglary, according to a police report.

Officers saw a surveillance tape showing a subject break into the vehicle, take a briefcase and get into a black passenger car, police reported.

The briefcase held documents and an iPhone, according to the report.

The police were able to use the “FINDAPHONE” app to find the black passenger car, where they found the briefcase and pieces of broken glass on the man’s garage floor, police reported.

The man said he did not take the bag, and instead found it on the ground near where it was taken, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

A 43-year-old man was arrested Jan. 15 on the 1600 block of South College Avenue on suspicion of armed robbery and aggravated assault, according to a police report.

Prior to his arrest, the man had held a knife to a person from about 2 to 3 feet away and threatened to “stick” the victim with it, police reported.

The person had a small laceration on their lower lip, according to the report.

During an interview, he identified himself as a South Sider and a “Sorano,” police reported.

He was also arrested for punching a man on the left side of his head and assaulting that same man on a different day, police reported.

The man said he punched the second man for being a child molester, according to a police report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Reports compiled by Angelica Cabral.

Tempe Police: Man pawns roommate's things to pay for new tires

Tempe Police: Man arrested after found with drugs and another man's wallet

Reach the reporter at avcabral@asu.edu or follow @angeligagaa on Twitter.

×