In an age where people resort to fame over passion, and societal norms over adventure and exploration, Asian languages freshman Grey Leeseberg manages to stand out because of her dedication. 

She has defied all odds in every spectrum of her life and chooses to stand by her first love — music — no matter the cost.

It is not the soft, captivating warmth of her music that speaks to the depth of your heart, so much as the enigmatic young lady behind the amazing lyrics and the powerful voice that conveys billions of emotions. Leeseberg can be best described as that person you think you know, but never actually do. She remains a mystery. The more you get to know her, the more you discover new aspects about her.

She is known as the girl who spends hours playing the guitar on the balcony every single day. The most puzzling thing to me was how someone could play an instrument all day without getting bored. After all, too much of one thing becomes monotonous. However, my perception was bound to change. It is only when I heard her singing at the Residential Hall Association Fall Leadership Camp, that I discovered there is more to Leeseberg than meets the eye.

In reaction to these perceptions, she simply smiled and said, “I am that one person who is very devoted to what I love to the point of constant exhaustion.”

Chemical engineering graduate student Madison Klug said he has known Leeseberg for quite a while, and he thinks she is very talented when it comes to music.

“She cannot really see how good she is,” Klug said. “Her songs are meaningful. They are not just fluff.”

At only 18, Leeseberg has been a singer for almost her entire life. At age 7, she composed a song entitled “Rise Above The Crowd.” Her first memory of performing is when she sang "This Land Is Your Land" for her dad’s coworkers at the age of 9. To my surprise, she began singing the song in a captivating alto after sharing the story.

“This land is your land. This land is my land / From California to the New York Island / From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters / This land was made for you and me.”

After this unexpected performance, her passion for music became obvious. Leeseberg echoed this sentiment.

“The music has been trying to find itself outside of me all my life," she said. "One way to put it is by comparing it to masters of the piano and their music. They did not have to go to the music, but the music came to them.”

Even though Leeseberg has been gifted with an amazing voice, her talent does not end there. She can also play the piano, draw and paint. She said she writes poetry and short stories during rare moments when she is not doing anything related to music. She publishes her personal work on a blog and her work has a silent formidable force, whether it's music, painting or literary work. I believe it all goes down to the simple sincerity and humility embedded in all her work.

Gender reversal and personal interpretation of hades

A photo posted by Grace Leeseberg (@misty1037) on

Biomedical science freshman Lovender Phiri said that, as an artist herself, she can recognize real talent when she finds it.

“You can not ignore the simple honesty and modesty reflected in her blog,” Phiri said.

Leeseberg said one day she might consider composing a song in Chinese.

“If I could be performing, I would be," Leeseberg said. "I love the stage, and I feel at home when I’m there."

Because she is a freshman, she said she has not been able to do any performances on campus due to the constraints of a busy schedule and adjusting to college life.

In the long run, she said she hopes to become a professional singer.

”Though it may sound unreasonable, I want to,” she said.

She said she also aspires to become a competent, skilled composer who will transform many lives through music.

To the people who have never heard her sing or play, she said she wants to reassure her listeners to be strong and know one day that they will belong.

“I create my music in the hope that it will inspire people who have been through a rough time, like me," Leeseberg said.

For a while, she paused and summarized why she is passionate about music.

“To me, music is belonging," she said. "It makes me feel like I can do anything. Like I can reach the sky no matter how high, because with music, I belong. That is why I constantly have to keep writing my songs.”

Reach the arts reporter at smareker@asu.edu or follow  @shantie_chido on Twitter.

×