4 reasons you shouldn't worry about how you look at the beach this year

No need to freak out for the next few weeks because everybody has a "summer body."

LIFE FASH-RETRO-SWIMWEAR 2 SL
Jade wears a halter bikini top ($40), jeweled buckle stretch belt ($28), black boy short bottoms with side ties ($32), and sunglasses ($22), all at Kohl's; and the San Diego hat, SPF 50+ ($19.99) at T.J. Maxx. (Emily Rasinski/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT)

It's hard not to fall victim to the insecurities that come with the change of seasons. As soon as spring break ends, summer is on every college student's radar — and the pressure to look a certain way in a swimsuit begins.

Because of the bombardment of half-naked men and women on every magazine cover and articles like “How to get fit in 40 days,” it's hard to make healthy personal decisions. Here are four reasons you shouldn't worry about how you look at the beach this year.

Beaches are like gyms — most people are just worried about themselves

“Gymtimidation” is real and I have felt it on more than just one occasion but what I’ve come to realize is the only person paying attention to me is me. A beach is the same way. No one will care if you don’t look like you walked straight out of a Victoria's Secret catalog, so just relax and have fun. The most important thing about a vacation is making memories with the people you’re with. If you are going to spend every second concerned about others judging you, you might as well stay home! Be so annoyingly confident in yourself that people notice.

❤️ the looks you saw on the #VSSwimSpecial? Shop them now via profile link.

A photo posted by Victoria's Secret (@victoriassecret) on

There is no height requirement for the ocean

I often think of myself as “too tall” for most situations I encounter, but having to do an awkward squat to be the same height as my friends isn’t worth the leg cramps. Whether you are taller or shorter than your counterparts, take a deep breath, channel your inner Taylor Swift, pose and take a picture by yourself.

A photo posted by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on

Overworking yourself the next seven weeks could do more harm than good

I know the weeks between spring break and summer become crunch time for people to get in shape and look like fitness guru Jen Selter. However, if you prefer to stay on the couch and eat pizza, wings and fries while binge watching "Orange is the New Black" then go ahead! You should strive to be the best version of yourself no matter what season it is. Eating healthy and exercising is something you should always do but stressing out about it for a few weeks won’t change anything. If you struggle to manage school, work, sleep and friends already, throwing in the gym might set you back. It is easier to fall behind in the winter and still feel okay about it when you can layer on more clothes, but as the Arizona heat approaches, don’t be afraid to show some skin.

#dadbod is trending on Twitter right now, so guys, your beer belly could become your best asset

Most of the time, body positivity articles are aimed toward women, but I haven’t forgotten about the men out there. I know you struggle with insecurities, too, though you might not be as vocal about them as girls. Male models and actors often have six-packs and bulging biceps, but if the only “six-pack” you have is Coors Light, then drink one on behalf of all of us plebeians. There should not be any double-standards, so if I don’t look like Beyoncé, you don’t have to look like Zac Efron (unless of course you want to).

Honestly I have a hard time with paparazzi but s/o to this dude

A photo posted by Zac Efron (@zacefron) on

Don't live your life in constant fear of missing out. Embrace every curve of your body and don't worry what a handful of random strangers might think. Be yourself and love yourself, even if you don’t fit into pop-culture's definition of beach ready. 

Related links:

A Mindful Body

Body Project spreads acceptance at ASU

Reach the columnist at kamaher1@asu.edu or follow  @KatieMaher97 on Twitter.

×