Rahm notches another top-10 despite final day hiccup, ASU finishes 4th

Southern Highlands showed teeth on Wednesday, as only one team posted sub-par score on final day.

Jon Rahm Thunderbird scorecard
Junior Jon Rahm updates his scorecard in the Thunderbird Invitational tournament on Saturday, April 4, 2015 at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

With the Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament taking place at the MGM Grand this week, many ASU students and supporters alike find themselves in Las Vegas to take in all of the action. 

That group of students also includes the ASU men's golf team, which finished the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters Wednesday. The Masters is one of - if not the - most well-represented collegiate golf tournaments in the NCAA Division I golf season, boasting five of the top 10 teams in the nation including No. 1 Illinois and No. 4 Southern California.

Fresh off a weekend in which ASU senior Jon Rahm received the Mark H. McCormick Medal as the No.1 Ranked Amateur in the world, Rahm did very Rahm-like things in his first round in Las Vegas, ppening his tournament with a three-under 69 and an eagle on the par-5 9th hole. 

The first-round 69 put Rahm in a three way tie for the lead heading into the second day. 

Rahm wasn't the only ASU player high on the leaderboard after day one, as fellow senior Alberto Sanchez opened his tournament with a two-under 70 to put himself in a tie for fourth place, sitting just one shot shy of the lead.

At the conclusion of the first day of play, ASU sat in first place with a score of +3, one stroke ahead of a plethora of teams, the likes of which included Illinois, Southern California, Southern Methodist and Oklahoma State.

On the second day of the tournament, the Sun Devils improved upon their first round score, shooting an even par score of 288 on day two. 

Rahm followed his first-round score of 69 with a day two score of 69, still tied for the lead, now sitting at six under with USC's Sean Crocker. 

ASU junior Jared du Toit made a push up the leaderboard with a second-round score of 71, placing him in a tie for 21st heading to the final day.

Yet even with the improvement in score, ASU found itself trailing Pac-12 rival USC by seven strokes. USC produced an astounding day-two score of 280 (-8), now in first with a two-day total of 572.

Day three was easily the most demanding of the tournament with most of the field finding it hard to even make it into red numbers (under par). At the end of the day, only six players in the field of 78 posted scores under par. 

The University of Oregon had the honor of being the only team to post a sub par final day score (-1). 

ASU shot a team score of fifteen over (+15) on the final day, falling from second into a tie for fourth place. 

Rahm posted a score 78 on the final day fell from first into a tie for fifth. His 78 was an aftermath of five bogies and a triple bogey six on the par three 12th hole to the tune of only two birdies.

du Toit was the next closest Sun Devil player, finishing T19 with a three-day score of 221.

Reach the reporter at Braxton.Fox@asu.edu or follow @braxton_fox_II on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×