Phoenix Lights music festival will bring Kaskade, DJ Snake and more to the desert this weekend

DJ Snake is pictured during a performance. He will be performing on day two of the Phoenix Lights Music Festival.

In October 1997, a flash of lights rained down upon Phoenix from the sky, giving viewers a spectacle that was called “otherworldy” by then-Gov. Fife Symington after he left office. These lights are hitting Phoenix again this weekend, though not from aliens, but from an assortment of world class DJ talents for the second rendition of Phoenix Lights Music Festival.

Thomas Turner is the founder of Phoenix Lights and Relentless Beats, the company behind the music festival. He said this year’s event will be better than last year, featuring two-days of music instead of one and a larger venue, Margaret T. Hance Park.

“As well as last year ran, which you could not have asked for a smoother first year, we are going much bigger for year two,” he said. “We have an amazing team, coming off our biggest year and are using Phoenix Lights to propel us to the next level.”

The festival will feature an enormous range of artists like the crowd-pleasing Kaskade, dubstep legend Excision, ‘Lean On’ producer DJ Snake and many more.

“Phoenix Lights just has a rock solid lineup and I think what makes it so great is that there is something for everyone here,” Turner said. “The common thread is not one homogenous sound — it is their ability to move people in their own way.”

In February 2015, ASU alumnus and Relentless Beats Partner Ryan Auhl told The State Press about an event the company threw that hosted 8,500 people, making it the biggest dance music festival in the state at the time. Flash forward to today and Turner said Phoenix Lights is expected to have close to 20,000 people attending the festival over the expanded two days. 

“The growth of the company feels amazing,” Turner said. “We have been building this community for a long time. It's time for Phoenix to shine.”

Zach Kostaras, an ASU alumnus who works for American Airlines in Dallas, said he recognized this growth after he moved cities.

“Since my freshmen year to my senior year, it grew tremendously,” he said. “The fact that I don’t live in Phoenix anymore just makes me realize how huge it is. You’ve got acts from all types of genres of electronic music that are coming to Phoenix.”

Kostaras said Eric Prydz, another DJ on the bill with a signature, techno-inspired sound, is the must-see performance of this year’s festival.

“I really think he’s one of the best producers in the world right now,” he said. “Seeing his shows and videos, and listening to his sets is just something that really gets you stoked.”

Dance music’s popularity has made electronic music festivals a place where fans from all different types of backgrounds flock to for an escape. Turner said he enjoys providing this type of feeling for people.

“I think people love the ‘togetherness’ of it all,” he said. “These people are having the best days of their lives together at our events, listening to the music they love most right now. That’s an awesome feeling for all of us.”

Phoenix Lights will be held at Margaret T. Hance Park in Phoenix, Arizona on Saturday and Sunday. Click here for more information and tickets.  

Reach the investigative reporter at jhgolds2@asu.edu or follow @_jacobgoldstein on Twitter.

×