The Arizona Board of Regents will assemble in Tucson on April 7 and 8 to discuss the past year in education and annual goals.

Unsure of what they're covering? Here's what to expect:

Tuition and fees

Each university has proposed their respective budgets, but none of those proposals have been solidified. Regents will discuss and set tuition costs for each state school as well as a variety of fees and housing prices for the three universities.

Goals and current Issues

Regents will go over metrics focusing on student success, graduation rates and tuition increases to set goals for the upcoming year. 

Eileen Klein, ABOR president, will present her report discussing recent statistics and state growth.

A key part of the meeting will center around community colleges. Regents seek to approve their metrics and goals for community colleges in their strategic plan.

State legislation 

Regents will also discuss a proposed state legislation pertaining to education and university issues. They'll adopt stances and, if opposed, discuss possible amendments on each piece brought up in session.

One issue that may be considered is Arizona Governor Doug Ducey's recent budget proposal which restored just a fraction of the nearly $100 million cut from university funding last year.

Klein and Arizona State President Michael Crow have responded optimistically to the lack of cuts, considering it a sign of good-faith that state university funding will continue to recover and grow.

Related links:

Arizona Board of Regents address proposed $75 million in budget cuts

Arizona Board of Regents approve new ASU enrollment goal

Reach the assistant news editor at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×