Assistant coach Brian Merritt no longer with ASU men's basketball

Merritt was a driving force in the recruitment attempt for Thon Maker.

Assistant men's basketball coach Brian Merritt talks to players during a break in action in the game against CSU Bakersfield in the Wells Fargo Arena on Monday, Dec. 28, 2016.

Assistant coach Brian Merritt was dismissed from the ASU men’s basketball team, ESPN’s Jeff Goodman first reported.

The departure comes less than two months after Merritt was arrested on suspicion of DUI. He missed four games as a result.

Merritt was a driving force in the recruitment attempt at Thon Maker, a five-star Sudanese basketball player considering ASU amongst colleges including Indiana and Notre Dame. On Sunday, Maker declared intention to enter the draft, pending NBA approval.

Merritt began coaching at ASU in May 2015. He had prior experience working for teams including John Lucas Enterprises, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Louisville.

Representatives from Sun Devil Athletics confirmed Merritt's dismissal on Tuesday.

Assistant Sports Editor Matt Layman contributed reporting.

Related links:

ASU men's basketball managing expectations in time of transition

ASU men's basketball's Savon Goodman set to transfer

Reach the sports editor at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×