ASU baseball routs Washington State in game one of series

Colby Woodmansee was hot at the plate while Seth Martinez almost completed a shutout.

ASU v ACU Woodmansee
Sophomore Colby Woodmansee hits for a single in the bottom of the third inning against Abilene Christian at Phoenix Municipal Stadium Tuesday May 19, 2015. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 4-1. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

ASU baseball pulled out a 10-1 win over Washington State on Thursday night in Pullman, Washington.

Solid at-bats by ASU and mistakes by the Washington State defense resulted in the Cougars rotating through five pitchers throughout the game in an attempt to slow down the Sun Devil momentum.

Junior shortstop Colby Woodmansee was one of the offensive catalysts, leading the way at the plate by going 3-5.

A wild pitch by WSU in the first put the Sun Devils up 1-0. From there, ASU held solid on both sides of the plate, showing improvements across the board from last weekend’s series loss to Utah.

ASU increased the lead to 5-0 by the ninth inning, but were able to add even more insurance. Four Cougar errors in the final frame resulted in the Sun Devils scoring four more runs off three hits.

Washington State shortstop Justin Harrer committed three of the Cougars five errors on the night.

Junior right-hander Seth Martinez almost completed a shutout for ASU, but the Cougars were able to put a run on the board in the bottom ninth after a throwing error by senior third baseman Jordan Aboites moved the runner into scoring position.

Martinez finished the game, allowing only five hits and the single run. He struck out five hitters on a total of 102 pitches.

ASU and Washington State entered Thursday’s matchup tied for the worst Pac-12 record. With the Sun Devils’ win, they improve to 2-5 in the conference and 14-9 overall.

The two teams will be back out at Bailey-Brayton Field on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. for game two of the three-game series.

Reach the reporter at haley.stesiak@asu.edu or follow @haley_stesiak on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×