ASU baseball sweeps first conference series of season at Stanford

Junior shortstop Colby Woodmansee hit two home runs with four RBIs in Sunday's win.

ASU shortstop Cody Woodmansee, center, celebrates with teammates after hitting a home-run during a game against the University of Washington Huskies at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona, on Saturday, April 9, 2016. The Sun Devils won the game, 6-3.

ASU baseball swept its first Pac-12 conference series of the season in an extra-inning 8-7 win against Stanford on Sunday.

The Sun Devils clinched the series on Saturday, their first series win against the Cardinal since 2010. The sweep on Sunday was also the first road sweep at Stanford for ASU since 1997.

ASU got off to a slow start until freshman third baseman Jeremy McCuin doubled to get the bats going in the third. Then, freshman right-fielder Gage Canning singled to bring McCuin home, giving the Sun Devils their first lead of the game. Stanford, however, responded in the bottom of the frame with two-run home run by junior center fielder Jack Klein.

The lead would change over the next two innings with Stanford ahead 6-4 going into the sixth. The Sun Devils battled back in the seventh with a double from junior first baseman David Greer, knocking around sophomore second baseman Andrew Snow, then a two-run home run by junior shortstop Colby Woodmansee put ASU ahead by one.

In the bottom of the ninth, an error by Snow would bring the game-tying run home for Stanford, forcing extra innings.

The Sun Devils only needed one frame, however, to come out on top, as junior catcher Brian Serven stepped up with one out and got one over the left field wall to secure the win for ASU. Serven went 2-for-4 on the day with one walk, a double and a home run. 

Woodmansee had two home runs in the game, going 2-5 with four RBIs. He now leads the team with eight home runs on the season.

On the mound for ASU, freshman left-handed pitcher Zach Dixon got the start. Dixon went four innings and gave up six runs, only three earned, on six hits. He would be one of seven pitchers the Sun Devils used in the series finale.

Freshman right-hander Chris Isbell pitched 2/3 of an inning to relieve Dixon, sophomore right-hander Tucker Baca went 1 1/3 innings with two strikeouts, sophomore right-hander Grant Schneider had five pitches, no outs, and freshman right-hander James Ryan would pitch only one inning before senior Jordan Aboites finished out the game.

Aboites recored the win, closing out the last three innings and allowing one run on three hits.

The series win is the Sun Devils second conference series win of the season. They improve to 23-14 overall and 9-9 in the Pac-12.

Reach the reporter at haley.stesiak@asu.edu or follow @haley_stesiak on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×