ASU beach volleyball loses to Arizona, gives up half a Territorial Cup point

Freshmen Bethany Wedepohl and Jourdan Parnell picked up the only Sun Devil win on Thursday.

Freshman #32 Jourdan Parnell serves during her match against Florida State.

Down south, ASU beach volleyball faced Pac-12 rival No. 7 Arizona for the first time this season. With one a point of the Territorial Cup Series on the line, the Sand Devils fell 4-1 this afternoon.

Despite the loss, ASU as a school still leads 7.5 to 6 in the 2015-2016 season.

Last weekend at the Stanford Tournament, No. 1 pair juniors Bianca Arellano and Whitney Follette and No. 5 pair sophomore Frances Giedraitis and senior Logan Rae went 3-1 over the weekend. However, both pairs failed to rack up a win tonight.

Follette earned the title of being the first ASU Sun Devil to win 30 games last weekend when playing Oregon. The pair's win on Sunday against Boise State led Arellano to break 30 games as well. Tonight, the two started off strong, taking the first at 21-14. However, Arizona’s Mckenna and Madison Witt tied the match quickly with a 21-15 win in the second match. In the end, ASU’s top duo lost in a close match of 22-20.

Following Arellano and Follette’s steps, No. 3 pair juniors Madison Berridge and Mia Rivera came back in to the game after winning the second match 21-18. However, Arizona’s Olivia Macdonald and Sam Manley won the third set 15-6.

Arizona’s domination continued when Hailey Devlin and Mackenzie Kleespies swept ASU No. 5 seed Giedraitis and Rae with scores of 21-10 and 21-17.

Arizona earned their fourth point of the night with another sweep. The Wildcats defeated No. 2 pair Kwyn Johnson and Syney Palmer, who failed to surpass the 20-point mark, leaving the game with scores of 21-15 and 21-14.

The only win came from the fourth seed, freshmen Jourdan Parnell and Bethany Wedepohl. After taking set one with a score of 21-13, the second match brought a 23-23 tie. The Sun Devils didn't buckle under pressure, winning the final set 25-23 against Wildcats Mia Mason and Kalei Mau.

After a home series this weekend against SDSU and Grossmont College this weekend, the Sand Devils will host Arizona one last time on April 20, giving them another chance to earn points towards the Territorial Cup Series.

Reach the reporter at ncorr@asu.edu or follow @natalieorr19 on Twitter.

×