ASU softball suffers fifth consecutive loss

Although Dale Ryndak only gave up four hits, ASU was unable to take down the Utes.

ASU Softball 04-17-2015
Freshman Pitcher, Dale Ryndak closed for the Sun Devils against the Oregon State Beavers Friday, April 17, 2015 at Farrington STadium in Tempe, AZ.

Unlike last night's run-rule loss, the Sun Devils held the Utes to a low score. However, No. 22 ASU was unable win, falling 3-1 for its fifth loss in a row.

Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak got her chance in the circle for the first time in this series against Utah. She didn't allow a run in the first, but in the second, a batter she walked eventually came around to score.

In the third inning, Ryndak gave up a solo home run to junior outfielder Kay Kay Fronda, which pushed Utah to a 2-0 lead. The Utes scored again in the fourth inning off a base hit. It was their final run of the game.

ASU wasn't productive on offense; the team only got four hits in the first four innings.

The fifth inning posed some promise offensively when junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales and senior second baseman Nikki Girard led off the inning with back-to-back singles. Junior catcher Sashel Palacios then hit a hard ball back to the pitcher, who bobbled it, allowing Gonzales to score.

Utah went to the bullpen. Sophomore pitcher Katie Donavon entered the game and looked to have a repeat of her dominate role in the circle after being the winning pitcher in last night's game.

Donavon struck out three of the five batters she faced. ASU only mustered one run in the fifth and didn't score for the rest of the game.

She picked up the save for Utah.

The Sun Devils look to avoid the sweep as they face the Utah Utes for game three of the series tomorrow night at 6 p.m.

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

×