Car racing runs in ASU student's blood

Automotive systems engineering freshman Stephano Sinyangwe is a member of the ASU Baja racing team.  

A combination of valiance and intelligence coupled with a few streaks of integrity, automotive systems engineering freshman Stephano Sinyangwe seems to have it all. But it is his remarkable dedication to car racing that distinguishes him from everyone else.

“My devotion to car racing was evoked by my late father’s love for the sport,” Sinyangwe said. He said his father was a clear depiction of the benefits of hard-work and passion.

Sinyangwe said his father, a former national racing championship holder in Zambia used to take him to racing competitions when he was little.

He said he could not really grasp all the concepts of car racing at that time, but the sport still fascinated him.

It is from these childhood moments that Sinyangwe’s interest in racing was nurtured and ultimately blossomed.

All these efforts were rewarded when he won a trophy for exhibiting strong ethos and excellence by Zambia Motorsports Association — a leading car racing club in his country.

Sylvia Nanyangwe, bio-medical sciences sophomore and Sinyangwe's sister, said she has seen him go through all the highs and lows of life.

“Through it all, he remains determined, however, it is his humility — even after all his achievements —  that continues to warm my heart,” Nanyangwe said.

Sinyangwe said 2005 was a difficult time in his racing career because of the death of his father. 

“I stopped attending racing events because I no longer had the energy to pursue the sport anymore,” he said. “It was no longer worth it. The one who made it worth it was gone."

After graduating from high school, Sinyangwe slowly began to loosen up and break out out of his cocoon.

His interest in racing once again resurfaced. Sinyangwe said it was this newly found ability to bounce back that prompted him to join the ASU Baja SAE racing team.

Engineering freshman and racing teammate MacColl Nicolson said Sinyangwe is a very enthusiastic member of the team who is always willing to help out in the smallest ways. 

"He is also very knowledgeable about different types of racing from other parts of the world, and that makes him an important asset for the racing team," he said. 

Baja racing club is an ASU Motorsport organization at the Polytechnic campus. Along with other universities in the U.S., these racing teams register to participate in a competition whereby each team builds an individual car with the same dimensions.

As devoted to racing as he is, Sinyangwe still finds time to pursue his other talents.

He co-founded an African music group called African Rhythm with Ntombizodwa Makuyana and Lovender Phiri, who are students from Zimbabwe. 

The group has performed at a number of events that include International Night, one of the Coalition of International Students signature events, and a ceremony for Peace Corps.

Sinyangwe is also one of the lead drummers and pianist for another gospel music group called African Praise team.

Bio-medical sciences freshman Evelyn Ladipo said Sinyangwe is a pleasure to work with. 

“On those days when rehearsals do not go as expected, you can count on Sinyangwe to lighten the atmosphere," Ladipo said.

Sinyangwe said he strives to follow his dreams at whatever cost.

“Who knows, maybe one day I may wake up and find myself as the next Lewis Hamilton," he said.

Related links:

Safety is overrated

ASU alumnus races toward NASCAR dreams

Reach the arts reporter at smareker@asu.edu or follow  @shantie_chido on Twitter.

×