ASU softball alumna Katie Burkhart honored as first retired jersey

Burkhart's jersey was retired on Saturday as the first on the Wall of Honor.

Katie Burkhart, left of the jersey, poses by the Wall of Honor after her number was retired by the ASU softball team on Saturday, April 23, 2016, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe, Arizona. As an collegiate athlete, she had a record of 118-40, an ERA of 1.08 and won the College World Series in 2008.

Katie Burkhart looked out onto the field, leaning against the maroon cushioned fence that once separated her from the world outside softball.

Moments before, a white jersey with the number seven was unveiled on the wall between left and centerfield. It was a replica of Burkhart’s jersey, the first to be inducted to the Wall of Honor.

The ASU pitching alumna was fighting her own mind, battling the realization that this may be her final step into the circle where her legacy began and ended.

Burkhart stood tall and walked with confidence in her first few strides towards the pitching circle. Slowly, step by step through the dirt ridden infield, Burkhart’s shoulders dropped just slightly.

Ridden with emotion, she realized her appearance in front of the crowd at Farrington Stadium Saturday night would be her final farewell.

The crowd cheered her on, young girls screeching and fans applauding the superstar that stood before them. Her old teammates were waiting for her in the center of the infield, Burkhart’s old home away from home.

They lined up in two long rows, each woman holding a single long-stemmed rose getting ready to salute their teammate for the legacy they were a part of.

Burkhart walked through the row of familiar faces, like walking through a time machine. Her teammates, patting her on the back and cheering her on, gave flashbacks to their unforgettable night in Oklahoma eight years ago.

With tears in her eyes and a lump in her throat, Burkhart took the microphone and attempted to express her gratitude, knowing she would never be able to show how ASU and her softball team changed her life.

Then, barefoot with her tear-soaked olive shirt and softball in hand, Burkhart locked into a familiar scene. She clutched the softball in both hands before feeding it to the right. She felt the leather covered stitching and placed her fingers in their proper positioning.

Burkhart looked across to her catcher and then proceeded to the windup she perfected eight years ago, throwing a pitch that looked effortless to the naked eye, as if she had never stopped.

Burkhart won the 2008 College World Series and holds the ASU record for wins, strikeouts, shutouts, strikeout ratio and innings pitched. On Saturday, the Sun Devils retired her number.

“I don’t usually cry, and I told myself I was going to keep it together tonight," Burkhart said. "And then I get out there, looking at everybody, and I thought this was way past my pay grade. Being out there and seeing my teammates, I mean we poured out many years together, and that was a pretty emotional experience for me."

Her 2008 season was one of the best pitching performances in ASU history. She balanced an incredible 41-5 record with a minuscule 0.75 ERA and threw two perfect games. Burkhart struck out 1,670 batters in her career.

She said she owed her success to her teammates.

“There is nothing that you want to share anything with other than your teammates and I think growing up, I realized how there is just this beautiful relationship you form with your teammates,” Burkhart said. “You don’t just get that with anyone and to have that naturally with a team is something that is hard to build.”

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Breanna Macha said Burkhart gave her advice during a recent pitching slump.

"She told me that the only way to get out of a slump is to get through it," Macha said. "It was really good advice and hearing it from her who has a lot of success made me feel that much more comfortable."

Redshirt junior pitcher Kelsey Kessler said the way Burkhart spoke about her teammates proved she was truly grateful.

"I think on and off the field, relationships really helped her and I feel like having those close friendships off the field make it easier to play," Kessler said.

When Burkhart looked back on all she and her teammates had accomplished there wasn't a single dry eye around her.

"There are so many life experiences that you go through being a collegiate athlete," Burkhart said. "You’re going through school, sports and there’s a lot that goes with it. I think to be at ASU and grow, I am forever indebted to being at this school and will always be so thankful that I got the opportunity to be here and bleed maroon and gold.”

In the end, Burkhart said she is forever indebted and wouldn't have traded anything for her years at Arizona state

“I would have never chosen anywhere else to play.”

Related links:

ASU unable to crack losing streak, falls to Oregon in series finale

Taylor Becerra leads ASU softball with slap hitting, bat tricks

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

×